Gardening suggestions...

I just ripped out my weed bed... It's about 15 ft long by 4 ft deep, north facing and gets absolutely no direct sunlight all summer, well none at any time of the year, really! LOL I'm thinking hostas, but their kind of pricey (it's a rental home). I'm wanting to do something fairly low maintenance, can't have anything poisonous due to 4 young children, (all about prevention! lol ) but I can't decide what I want back there. We spend a ton of time in our back yard, so I want it to be colorful- lobe begonias but they break so easily...impatients also... I've only been gardening 2 yrs now, so I'm still learning all the best things for the best places! LOL Please help!! :P
Full shade, non-poisonous, can take a ball or two....lol

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 1:05 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I love gardening! Have you tried Torenia (Wish Bone flower)? They are pretty sturdy and work in full shade. You can also try this slow growing Rue Anemone is a slow growing, tuberous, woodland wildflower.

Answer by gemgem at 2:25 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I always have this problem too! The more colorful stuff needs more sun! Instead of flowering plants look for plants with cool leaf variations: striped or spotted and such.
    There's one.... I cannot remember the name but the leaves were actually multicolored and did include pink lol. I'm going to have to call my mom and get back to you...
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Lots of people divide their gardens and post the offerings on freecycle.org this time of year. You can also buy hostas from bare root and they do pretty well the first year and take off the second year. If you look for coupons from on line places like springhillnursery or michigan bulb company, gurneys they have value shade assortments and they usually have by $25 worth of stuff, get $25 free. The plants on these sites are small so it takes a year for a truly established garden but you can fill in with some annuals this year like begonias. I don't know your climate but wintercreeper grows like a weed and doesn't flower but has year round foliage that turns purple in the fall. Bleeding hearts are shade tolerant, Columbine,. My favorite for a quick fix that flowers is periwinkle, shade tolerant and has little blue/purple flowers. By a tray or two this year and you'll have a sea of purple next year.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• The only thing we have growing in full-shade are lilies-of-the-valley and Hen-and-Chicks. Kinda fragile, so they wouldn't "take a ball or two" very well!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Hosted can be split. Do u know anyone that has some that will 'share'?
    kels81

Answer by kels81 at 6:31 AM on May. 19, 2011

• If you live close to Akron, OH you can come to my house and take some of my hostas. They need to be separated. :) Really though, if you know anyone that has some, maybe you could ask someone if you could split them for you to have.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:26 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I always planted impatiens in my north facing shaded beds. They did wonderfully and are cheap and fill out FAST.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:21 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I don't know if they are poisenous or not, but I think gardenias like shade... and smell so beautiful.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 1:26 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would love to know what you decide to plant... shade is a problem *I* have too..
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:05 AM on May. 19, 2011

• grow some butterfly bushes. or iris
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2011