Wat should i expect during labor?

im 21 and expectin my first child. im nervous and excited but dont know wat to expect or wat to do to be somewhat ready.

flashorty

Asked by flashorty at 1:08 AM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Take a childbirth preparation class that gives you a balanced view of pregnancy, birth and postpartum. You can find great instructors through CAPPA or ICEA. Unfortunately many of the classes offered through hospitals emphasize hospital protocol over comfort measures and coping techniques, so make sure your class fits your needs before you sign up. You can ask for an outline and ask the instructor how much time is spent on the portions you think you want to know more about. Books: the thinking woman's guide to a better birth by henci goer. The guide to childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. Those will get you started! Feel free to message me for more help if you would like.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• your never really ready for a baby... me n my hubby didnt take any classes or read any books and we were just fine. If i have had a ? i would call my mom! When you go into labor though you just have a lot of pressure and feel like you are going to crap yourself.
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 1:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• And think about getting a doula!
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:17 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Everyone's labor and delivery is different. Ask your doctor about an epidural to ease your discomfort--they really work great, or at least they did for me 3 times.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 8:28 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Expect pain and lots of it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:38 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Expect pain but don't be scared of it, it hurts like hell but you will get through it fine! One piece of advice I have to give that no one gave me is if you decide to get an epidural be sure you know about natural birth as well because just because you ask for an epidural doesn't mean you will always get it. I wanted one with my last child and the doc was tied up in an emergency c-section and never made it to me, so its a possibility, just be prepared, I wasn't! It hurt! But I still want one more and willing to do it all over! Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i asked too and everyone said its hard to describe now i see why good luck
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 1:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You do not need an epidural. They will start an IV on you anyway so ask about the IV push meds they can give you. That's all I had and it worked great. I have a really big problem with people doing things where I can not see them so an epidural was out of the question. And it's NEVER to late for IV meds. There is a point you reach when an epidural is out of the question. Take at least a breathing class, it helps a lot. Good luck, and remember that your body was made to have a baby, that labor is scary, but only as much as you let it be. Don't let any body scare you when it's time, the calmer you project yourself, the calmer you will be.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Everyones labor is different. It all depends on what you want. I had a natural birth in a bathtub. So there were no medical interventions. I can tell you that during early labor I got very sick. I vomitted and had diarrhea everytime I had a contraction for two hours. (i had NO idea that would happen!) the best thing to do is talk to your doctor and discuss what you are willing and unwilling to do. DO NOT let them push you around. It's so easy during labor to just give up because honestly, you feel miserable. But just remember what your objective is and stay focused. As far as the pain, it's really a mind over matter thing. Yes there is a lot of pain, but somehow you just do it. It's so hard to explain. Just when I thought I could not it anymore and was getting ready to say froget it take me to the hospital and dope me up, I found this huge surge of energy and will power and did it. Good luck momma!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:51 PM on May. 19, 2011