If your child has one of the top baby names...

did you pick the name because it was popular for some reason or just because you happened to like it and it turned out later it was popular?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 1:10 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Baby Names

• My son's name is a traditional Scottish name but it seems to be making its way back. I did not pick it because it was popular. Collin Riley
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 1:14 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I named my son Noah because it wasnt popular..but by the next year it was in the top 10. I was mad! but I havent run into anyone else named Noah in a very long time. My 2nd is named Hunter and that has been more common..its probaly since I live in Hunting country!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I picked the name because I liked it, not because it was popular.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I purposely picked non-popular names so my kids wouldnt be one of three "Whatever"s in their classes.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've never taken popularity into consideration with my children; their names were chosen because me and my DH liked them and/or for personal reasons:

Jenna Lynn - our first, was just a name we liked

Brianna Marie - our second, we liked Brianna and Marie is the name of DH's grandmother who was in ill health and passed not long after Brianna was born

Nicolas James - our third, Nicolas is the name of one of my brothers and James is the name of one of DH's brothers

Damon Alexander - our fourth, Damon again is the name of another one of my brothers and Alexander is my grandfather's name

Shane Donovan - will be our fifth, due in less than a month, Shane is simply a name we like and Donovan is my dad's name
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• how do you find out if your babies name is popular i know aaron is a common name and that is what we are naming our son but were naming him aaron because we like the name
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:13 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Never knew it was gaining popularity....just picked it because I liked it. Now it's like in the top 5. I have only met two other girls with her name though and she's about to be 5 years old.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:16 AM on May. 19, 2011

• In 2006 when my son was born, Andrew was #6, but I didn't know that at the time. We named him after my Grandpa
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:17 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I had my daughter Ashley in 1991 and there was already 4 Ashley's in the neighborhood and really did not care at the time. It just bugs me how many ways people try to be different with the spelling. When I had my son though it was hard to decide a name because of the size of dh's family and what names were already used so we picked Dylan and it turned out to be a popular name but not as popular as my 2nd choice and that was Braeden
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I certainly did not pick it because of popularity. In fact, I am a little peeved that it is so popular and apparently everyone hates it now....and thinks I must have no imagination for choosing said name *eyeroll*

I spent weeks pouring over names and I fell in love with my child's name. It was perfect...wonderful sound, nice meaning, and it was Irish so it fit with our heritage. I had never heard the name on anyone before...in fact despite everyone screaming about it's sickening popularity I have only met two other boys with the same name in the almost 3 years since my son's birth. Anyway, popularity had nothing to do with why I chose my son's name.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 7:43 AM on May. 19, 2011