So I am a little depressed, sad or tired???

Well I went to some libraries today to find more information on Norway because we may possibly be moving there in four - five years.
This is something I want to do, but it is work and I am a little depressed over things. Is this normal?
I guess I am a little burned out on the subject for tonight.
First off I need to learn the language, and I guess it is all so new and foriegn to me. I am a little stressed.

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 1:19 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Travel

• The prospect of moving to another country, even if one is really familiar with it is very daunting. Many life changing tasks are.
    I have heard wonderful things about Rosetta Stone. A friend's son taught himself Russian with it, very reasonable accent and everything.

I would start by visiting at least once. Get a feel for where you might like to live. See what career opportunities are available for fields where you normally would work. And save as much money as possible for moving expenses and the possibility of unemployment until you get settled. And most importantly, find out visa and immigration requirements. Most countries have a pretty strict requirements for moving there. It's not like moving from Kansas to Arizona. My engineer cousin found that one out the hard way when he couldn't get a work visa and had to emigrate to New Zealand on his teacher wife's visa.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Like one of the ladies said, things can change a lot in five years, so don't sit there and worry about something that will not happen for a while. Also, have you ever been to Europe? You may actually love it there. I have a cousin who moved to Netherlands because he had to, then came to visit America with the idea that they might move here. Well, when they visited here, they said "your life is so much more stressful here!" He and his family changed their minds and bought a house in Netherlands. Most European countries speak English as a second language so it shouldn't be so difficult for you. Besides you still have so much time to learn the language. Also, one fun thing about living in Europe is that the countries are so close to each other that you can travel to see more beautiful places. I would be excited about this, specially if you're moving there with a job all lined up already. Look at the positive side of it.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 1:39 AM on May. 19, 2011

• That is a big move - I don't blame you for feeling overwhelmed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Why are you moving to Norway? That sounds interesting, and definitely challenging if you don't know the native language!
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 1:22 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Rosetta stone is supposed to be the best immersion program out there. But there is no better immersion program than moving to a different country. How exciting! But a lot can change in 4-5 Years so don't invest so much emotion in it or you will not be able to enjoy the adventure that is happening before your eyes.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:24 AM on May. 19, 2011

• it is possible to feel all those emotions . The best thing to do at this point is to make a list of pros and cons and grieve over some of the things that you might miss. Right now I go over in my mind what I need to do, some of those things will be practical others will be contingency plans. Things like what will I need, what to take with me and so on. This is a big change try to focus on the good parts of the move and realize you will feel sad on and off until you get used to the new normal. Look for things that will help you in the beginning like a translator and several special things from home.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 1:35 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would also recommend visiting there before moving, if possible.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:04 AM on May. 21, 2011