Hepititis A & C

This is a very touchy subject for me right now....my boyfriends dad just found out that he has hepC and his mom has hep C & A. should my boyfriend and I get tested? My 1 year old and 3 year old are @ his parents all the time, I am VERY WORRIED they might have it. does any 1 know ANYTHING at all about these diseases? Any information is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Also does anyone now if you are tested for Hep A or Hep C at your first pre natal appt when you get all that blood work done? How about newborns, are they tested for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Health

• The chances of you and your children having Hep A are low, but you might want to talk to your doctor about it. It's highly treatable, and does not cause permanent liver damage. It's transmitted through unsanitary conditions, like contaminated water, but could pass from person to person if proper hygeine was not practiced (i.e. washing hands after using the bathroom).

Hep C is bloodborne, which means your risk of catching it would be comparable to if they had HIV - you just don't catch it unless you share needles or blood. Hope this helps ease your mind!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2008