Does the idea of getting pregnant upset you?

I've had three kids, and I'm 25 years old. My youngest is 18 mos. I'm pretty much done having kids. I had my body ravaged by pregnancy last time to the point of bed rest, and my husband and I agreed that while we have at least 10 more years to decide for sure, adoption is always an option, and I'm ready to spend the last half of my 20's focusing on me- my career, my health, my self esteem.

I have three beautiful children and I love them very, very much. Each one is a blessing, but I haven't had my period for about 2 months now (I'm on Mirena) and I broke down crying today. I've finally started to regain my confidence, I'm working out and dieting to lose weight. I feel pretty for the first time since High School and I'm so proud of what I've accomplished and how far I've come. I finally finished my AA and next fall I start my BS. I don't feel at ALL selfish for wanting to continue my education and lose weight. I'm 40 lbs overweight and my health is deteriorating. I feel 10 years older than I actually am... I feel like it's okay to focus on my dreams and goals, and attempt to send my life in a meaningful direction.

Its not that I wouldn't LOVE this baby and we wouldn't feel blessed to have him/her... it's just that I'm not ready for another. 3 preschool-aged kids already...I've been pregnant for 27 months out of the last 6 years... that's a little less than half. I'm so upset. If God thinks I can do this then I'll do it- cuz clearly not even birth control can come in the way of His plans... but I just wish that he'd clue me in on that plan, before He sabatoged my body again...stretch marks, baby fat... I'm so crushed. I've worked my BUTT off the last few mos trying to lose weight and I've lost 15 lbs. Lord knows I'll gain it back and then some. My self-esteem is already in the crapper, and now I feel like it's hopeless...

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 1:58 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would be pretty upset too, if I found out I was pregnant right now. I have three boys and feel your pain. But worrying about it is not helping you. Try to put it out of your mind until after you test.

I just read a thing on the Mirena website that states 1 in 5 women will stop having a period all together. So there is a good chance that you are not pregnant, that you are one of the lucky ones.

I really do wish you good luck! Please let me know what your result is.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:23 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Hold the phone... Did you test? Do you know for sure you are pregnant? Because Mirena can cause your body to not have a period.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• When I found out I was pregnant with this most recent child, I was very upset. I'm 41 years old, so there was my "advanced maternal age" to consider, and I had just graduated with my AA degree for Licensed Vocational Nursing, literally JUST graduated two days before I found out about the pregnancy. I was put on pelvic and then bed rest, so I couldn't work. I was incredibly depressed, here I'd just spent 12 months learning skills I couldn't put to use. When I had the baby (no issues with the birth or health of the kid), the neo-natal nurse assigned to me just happened to be my former nursing clinical instructor. She told me not to be worried, I was no different than any other green nurse who needs to work up her skills, to ask questions and be honest. I felt so much better after that. Things have a way of working out.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I have had the Mirena for 3 years, 3 months and I have always had a period on it too. But I haven't had one for two months now either. I have tested and both were negative. Your doc is not right about having a period every month, it is one of the "benefits" my doctor touted when discussing my options for BC.

Don't freak out that your life is over until you have taken the test and get a positive result. Have you felt for your strings? If you can feel them, it is highly unlikely that you are pregnant.

Good luck.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:16 AM on May. 19, 2011

• hugs mama
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:28 AM on May. 19, 2011

• So what is the result? I am dying to know!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• What were the results?
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 5:57 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've been on Mirena for 18 mos and never NOT had a period. I was on it before I got pregnant with my LAST child for a year and always had a period then, too. My doctor said when she gave it to me that I'd have a period every month... just bc my flow is always so heavy and all that... that Mirena wasn't equipped to stop my kind of period. I'm testing first thing in the morning(first pee of the day). I'm just anxious. And nervous... I'm not sure I want to know...
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 2:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• haven't felt for them... although we had some pain during sex a few nights ago? I could feel it moving. The reason I had it removed last time (and conceived within DAYS!!!) was bc of the same kind of pain- ended up it was falling out... ugh. So I'm worried that it's not working right. Doesn't help the nerves.
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 2:19 AM on May. 19, 2011

• thanks! I'll shoot you a message in about 12 hours lol....
    livn4hevn

Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 2:24 AM on May. 19, 2011