Sell-able or discard it?

I am trying to find some things to sell on a yard sale site. I don't have enough stuff for a table to be done at my place so I wanted to do the online route.

I am planning on selling a metal toddler bed with the mattress. When I went to wash the bedding that was on it, I discovered the mattress had been torn a bit. It's a crib mattress so it's that foam material. It wasn't discolored, still fairly new, but the white plastic layer had been ripped a bit. That would make it unsellable wouldn't it? I would think as a starting item people would want a mattress with it...then at the same time, most people that are needing a toddler bed HAVE their old crib mattresses, but I just feel so guilty for letting a perfectly usable kid mattress to go to the trash (fighting any hoarding tendencies). It MUST go and a bit part says I want a bit of spending money so I can do some comfort shopping to make up for those visible memories.

Overall...is it worth selling it since it's just a tear or just trash it? Then again...if I curb it...someone might take it...but my logic gets funny there (again, those tendencies).

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 2:08 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You could always try, and if it doesn't sell, then trash it. You probably won't get too much out of it though.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:13 AM on May. 19, 2011

• They say not to buy/sell used mattresses, however, see if you can donate it to a local women/children's shelter....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think in toyrus have the things going on take old baby things like bed or highchair carseat to toyrus they gave u gift card . Try that after u trying selling first.
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 2:39 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I had the same thing happen & just gave it away for free
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• the side that has the foam coming out is unusable, however there is the other side of the mattress, if that is in good condition, then yes it's okay to sell, if not and that also has a rip, discard it. (babies can choke on the foam simply by peeling it out).

as for not enough room, try setting up at a flea market in your area if space or item amounts are an issue. you can rent a small table space for all your items.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think you sound like a caring person! Nice to know there are some out there still!! Try selling it.. My daughters mattress had a small tear, it is the plastic kind.. I just used the otherwise...plus I use a fitted mattress pad on all the beds so the sheets dont slip around. Someone could really use the mattress.. I too would be hesitant to just trash it.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• As long as you are upfront about how big the tear is, I would try to sell it. There could be someone who really needs but can't afford a new crib or the mattress to go with it. Like PP said, the other side should be fine to face up, right?
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would freecycle it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I dont think anyone would buy it. How big is the tear ?
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• When I see toddler beds for sale on our local classified website usually they don't come with a mattress. I would sell them together though. Tell the people interested about the tear and let them decide whether or not they want it.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 7:56 AM on May. 19, 2011