Smoking when pregnant

I was out shopping last night with DH and the lil one when we saw a young girl, about 20ish, she must have been about 7-8 months pregnant, because she looked pretty big, and she was smoking. I was so shocked! I was so careful when I was pregnant, I didn't eat eggs unkess they were hard boiled or meat unless it was black!! I just couldn't believe she could do it, and put her unborn child health in danger. Am I the only one who feels this way? I saw on the news today if women smoke when pregnant it increases the baby's risk of asthma, I don't know if this is true or not though.

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 2:37 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think it is a form of child abuse.......fetus abuse?
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 4:26 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I THINK truthteller is being sarcastic....but anyways yes, it's always shocking to me when I see pregnant women smoking...I was a smoker too until I started trying to get pregnant and don't get me wrong, the last 9 months have been difficult, sometimes I've wanted a cigerette so bad I could just freaking cry lol, but I've always resisted...my 4 yr old has athsma and I did everything right so God knows what would have happened had I been smoking!
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:13 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i feel the same way!
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:39 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Wow I hated when a see a pregg mama smoking or drinking. Because later they are say why me why this or that my child have problems. God for give me lord I wish those people that do that stuff and do drugs that NEVER CAN HAVE BABIES THEY DON'T DESERVE. THEM... I'm just being honest..
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 3:49 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I smoke. I smoked while I was pregnant. Do I regret it? Yes I do. My son was unplanned but very much welcomed and was born a very healthy 8.5 pounds. When I discussed with my doctor about quitting he did tell me to cut back every few weeks. I was already under a lot of stress with the complications I had after I fell during my first trimester He told me he did not want anymore stress on me. Now I have one more chance to have another child. SO and I plan to start trying next year if I come up clean from my follow up paps for cancer screening. I plan to quit smoking before then. I hope I can do it. It is very much worth quitting just to be sure you have a healthy baby. But even if you live the healthiest life style does not mean you are exempt from giving birth to a baby with problems. It is a toss up.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 12:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I didnt smoke before pregnancy but my BF did. As soon as he found out I was pregnant he stopped smoking cold turkey because of the risk of second hand smoke. Neither of us want our baby to have tar filled lungs
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:41 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I am a nurse. In many cases, a doctor will tell a pregnant woman not to go cold turkey on cigarettes, because the stress from detox would be worse than the risks associated with LIMITED smoking during pregnancy.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:55 AM on May. 19, 2011

• While I don't agree with it, I've never gone up to someone and told them they were wrong or stupid for it. People criticized me for my Dr. Pepper consumption while pregnant.

I did know a girl who was 16 and pregnant with her first child when I was 21 and pregnant with my first. She chain smoked throughout the pregnancy. She was also very underweight (I don't know if she was anorexic or just didn't have enough room in her budget for both cigs and food). Her baby was born premature and with severe lung issues. Even after getting out of the nicu, the baby had to be on oxygen at home. I haven't talked to her in a few years, so I don't know how the baby is doing now, but what really bothered me was after she got out of the hospital when her baby was still in the nicu the first thing she did was have her boyfriend buy cigarettes for her. She kept smoking in the home after the baby was at home.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 5:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I appreciate your honestly truthteller, but I disagree very strongly with that! If you were to see a 1 year old baby holding a joint or a cig people would be mortified, so whats the difference in smoking when the baby is growing inside of you?
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 2:53 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Oh lol, hard to tell someones tone trough text lol. Yeah I know many people who quit for the pregnancy then started back again after! Lol, I don't smoke, and never have, I guess when your an addict it's tough to give up.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 3:27 AM on May. 19, 2011