Is it ok to let a two week old cry sometimes

she cries for a few mins, then will fall back to sleep. is that ok? or should i always pick her up when she cries? ive had different opinions on this so im really not sure

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 3:02 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it's totally fine
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:05 AM on May. 19, 2011

• If she us going right back to sleep than yea, because I would wake her to pick her up....but any longer than a minute she is telling you something is wrong.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:32 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Stronger lungs
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 4:22 AM on May. 19, 2011

• As long as it really is only a minute or two. I would say absolutely no more than 5 minutes because a two week old should be picked up just about every time. They are not old enough for the cry it out method just yet.
    Use your judgement. If he's only been asleep for an hour and he wakes up and cries and goes back to sleep right away that's fine. But if he's been asleep for longer than two hours he may need to be fed first, even if he goes back to sleep right away after.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 6:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm so sorry I kept saying "he" and you hve alittle girl. It's by default for me; I have two little boys. I apologize.
    And of course congratultions & enjoy your new baby!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 6:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• This is totally fine. She has to learn how to soothe herself and put herself back to sleep, otherwise she will always rely on you coming in to put her back to sleep! Now, if she cries for more than 10 minutes or so (and I know that can be a long time to hear her cry!) then go in and soothe her. It's definitely not mean to let a baby cry for a few minutes. Good luck Mama!
    Danda08

Answer by Danda08 at 6:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Do not let a 2 week old cry for 10 minutes like Danda said - that is just cruel, and does not teach a baby to soothe itself - it teaches baby that it's being neglected. At 2 weeks old, 2 minutes tops before picking her up. If she's crying it's because something is wrong - 2 week olds do not know how to cry for no reason, if they cry they need you - and at that age she probably needs to eat, don't let her cry herself back to sleep during the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 19, 2011

• it's fine, better let her get use to it now then later. As long she goes back to sleep that's fine. IF she crys more than 10 min I'll go over and pick her up, b/c that could mean wet diaper/her onsie or soemthing else.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You don't have to pick her up for just a minute or two of crying... check on her, though. It does NOT create stronger lungs, I'm afraid! If it lasts more than a couple of minutes, then by all means pick her up. For a two week old, ten minutes is really too long.

They ALL learn to fall asleep on their own without crying... it's NOT something you have to get them used to, ever.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yeah, if she's falling back asleep after a minute or two, then that's fine, might have just been a little bad dream or something, but don't let her cry longer than that, cause usually they only cry when something's wrong, when they're that little. And at this stage in life, they're learning that they can depend on you for things, and it's important to build that bond. They say you can't spoil them by picking them up and stuff until they're like 6 months....I dunno how true that is though, lol, my little one is 4 months tomorrow and when I walk in the room, and he sees me, he starts fussing and wants me to pick him up. :-P
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 1:38 PM on May. 19, 2011