• In the Spotlight:

Dangerous Advice

Do you think sometimes people give out dangerous medical advice on this sight? I always worry that someone won't call the doctor because someone else said they'd be fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm just concerned that a few sentence description of a problem isn't enough for anyone, even a doctor, to make a diagnosis. I don't mind it when some one says, "I had that it might be so and so." But sometimes I've seen answers where someone is told flat out nothing is wrong. On the other hand I've seen people tell women something is terribly wrong. We can only offer suggestions not give solid explanations for symptoms.

I personally hate to go to the doctor. I will look for any excuse to avoid it. During my pregnancy I bit the bullet and called and went in when I was worried. But I can relate to people who don't want to see the doc. But this is not the place to seek medical information. Advice, yes. Diagnosis, NO!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If anyone decides to take a non-professional's advice on a serious situation then they aren't using common sense! I suppose other moms just want to know they aren't alone, that someone else has had the same experience they are going thru. Even if someone on here claims to be a nurse or doctor you should always contact your family doctor regardless.
    algolden05

Answer by algolden05 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• It's a person's own responsibility to be sure that they do what is best for their situation. I've told many people on here that they would be fine, but only if the thing they are describing is very obviously one thing or another that is completely normal in pregnancy. For instance, "I'm 15 weeks along and sometimes when I stand up I feel like I have a pulled muscle on my right side!"
    That is very obvious to anyone who has ever been pregnant, it's round ligament pain. If the person were truly worried it could be something else, then I like to think they'd have the common sense to at least speak to their doctor/midwife.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Oh yes!! I hate it. I also hate when people put out misinformation to try and please the person and it turns out bad for them. My friend was told she should be able to feel her baby moving at 9 weeks and when 10 weeks came around and she obviously couldn't feel anything, she was frantically at my house telling me her baby must be dead because she couldn't feel it move. I was a couple weeks ahead of her and told her it'd be ok because I hadn't even felt mine move, I told her she had about 6-10 weeks lol.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 9:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i think people do but its the person who needs to take action like if you give some one a drug they have the power to take it or not just like information....hmm that was a bad analogy
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Well i may ask if i need to go to the dr or take my child or what may be causing the probliem BUT if i feel like somethings wrong i dont care what anyone says im getting my self or my child to the dr.But people should know when they need to get medical attition.
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• YES! Lots of moms tell other moms to medicate their babies with Motrin or Benadryl... that's a NO NO b/c you could be covering up symptoms that the doctors will need to know about. Also, if a mom asks about her own personal problems, SO many other moms are like 'oh, I had to have surgery for that'. A lot of these women are already freaked out... the best thing to do is to tell them to go to the doctor!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Basically...pple can dish out advise but it's up to the person dats asking for this advise to actually take heed in dat persons comment. When it all comes dwn to it...its all about common sence. Dats wat I think.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 1:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I had headaches and dizziness during my pregnancy. Turned out I had preeclamsia and HELP syndrome. If I hadn't gone to the doc my baby and I could have died. If you get advice online remember it is just advice based in people’s personal experiences. Lots of pregnant women get headaches. For most of them it's not a big deal, but keep in mind that your experience with your symptoms may not apply to everyone.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2008