You can't call yourself a christian if you support torture or the war. Agree or Disagree?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement. Why?

"If you’re a Christian and support killing your enemies and torture, you have to come up with a new name for yourself..Capping thine enemy is not exactly what Jesus would do…Martin Luther King gets to call himself a Christian because he actually practiced loving his enemies.Non-violence was kind of Jesus' trademark. Kind of his big thing. To not follow that part of it is like joining Greenpeace and hating whales. I mean, you know, there's interpreting and then there's just ignoring. It's ignoring if you're for torture. I am just saying logically that if you ignore the things that Jesus commanded you to do you are not a christian you are just a fan."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Those who are without sin should cast the first stone....
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:30 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Disagree,

As a Christian I have views. Do I believe in War, NO. But I do believe that sometimes War is necissary. Do I want to participate..Heck no.
    Do I believe in torturing for information. Not really. But if peoples lives are at stake then I could change my mind. I am still a Christian. I sin. I'll be the first to admit that..
    cpittaz

Answer by cpittaz at 3:39 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i'll tell you what, op. gimme me some scripture(s) that supports your assessment..er, judgement, first. oh and be sure to look for all the scripture pertaining to necessity of war or battle, too; you'll likely find a few that were commanded by God himself.
    once you post all of that, then i'll give my answer..if i still have to.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Christianity is a top notch promoter of violence. Read the bible. It's all there. If anything ALL christians should be pro war, and pro violence.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:01 AM on May. 19, 2011

• In the 3 years that I've been a member of cafemom, I've seen more posts than I can count from people claiming to be "god fearing, gun wielding Christians".  The thought of violence actually makes these people giddy with glee!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:29 AM on May. 19, 2011

• While I personally disagree with torture and war, I don't feel like I can define or limit someone else's spirituality. I understand that there are Christians who DO agree with those things, and while I think that Jesus was trying to teach us to be better than that, I don't think, and won't say, that it invalidates their whole faith or religious devotion....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:34 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think everyone should be against those things regardless of what they believe ...or don't

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:59 AM on May. 19, 2011

• While I do agree that Martin Luther King Jr's message of non-violence was in line with my personal understandings of Jesus' teachings, I'm not going to tell people what they can and cannot call themselves. I've defended people's right to call themselves Christians when they see Jesus as a teacher, interpret the Bible as allegory, etc., so I will still say that anyone who honestly believes they follow Jesus' teachings and calls themselves a Christian can do so. I may not agree that they are following his teachings, but I think they can call themselves Christians if they want. I do agree that Christianity has a violent history, and while some Christians don't seem to follow Jesus' teachings IMO and are sometimes hateful IMO, there are many other Christians are not that way and who prefer non-violence.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:05 AM on May. 19, 2011

• If feeling that way is a sin...Jesus dies for my sins right? I can sin by thinking such things and will be forgiven.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You can call yourself a Christian. I just don't happen to think you'd be a very good Christian.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:47 AM on May. 19, 2011