Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well i already went and got the social security card

my daughter name is RileyAnn and her SS card has it that way , her insurance card has it that way but i just got her birth certificate and they asked if it was right this time and i thought it was but i got looking it is like this Rileyann so now i am afraid i will be charged to correct it. sighs so now i gotta go back and do it again i am afraid. or her ss and insurance will not be legal. anyone else have this going on where they mispell a name? My aunt name was susposed to be martha but found out the hospital put Mary and i guess it was never corrected. and btw I wanted the riley and ann seperate putting them together as a first was hubby doing so i think i am gonna make him go in to get it corrected today.


Asked by WildCat73 at 5:12 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 23 (16,374 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • My daughter's name is Kelley-Christina (one name) it's spelled correctly on her birth certificate and SS card but all her medical cards, records ect just have Kelley, it's always been an issue and I always have to jump through hoops when it comes to certain I kind of understand what your going through, I don't know if they will charge you to change it but I know that if you DON'T change it your going to be dealing with it for a very long time lol

    btw...the name Riley Ann is too cute as a first name

    Answer by Lucky209 at 5:20 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • It is spelt right . It is just the A is not capitalized. That is not a miss spelled. Why don't you call the SS office and insurance company and see of it is an issue befor changing things.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:50 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • It's not a misspelling, they simply did not capitalize the A. It won't be an issue.

    My youngest goes by his middle name, so I have a D. Troy on most of his records- they always manage to screw it up and call him by his first name (my husband refused to allow me to name him, and I *hate* his first name).

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • My DD has a hyphenated, double-capital first name - using your DD's name as an example - Riley-Ann. Her bc came with it the same as yours - RILEYANN. I called and asked and I was told they don't "recognize" the hyphen & double capital - we can spell it our way and it's still legal, yadda yadda yadda. Her SS card is the same, and her insurance card is nearly the same - RILEYA though (her name is longer and they only use the first 8 letters, so it's cut off). I'd call and ask but not worry about it too much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • Go to your states' department of vital records, this is what mine says on their website:

    How do you correct information on a certificate?
    There are several provisions in the Virginia statutes whereby changes may be made on a vital record. We encourage you to write us with your correction request and we will advise you on what needs to be done to make the correction.
    Submit your requests to Attn: Special Services Dept.


    Answer by yesmaam at 10:44 AM on May. 19, 2011