Adoptees and genealogy. Nature/Nurture or both?

So like millions of people worldwide, you have an interest in generation knowledge...
Depending on your goal of collecting the info for your family tree (nature- demonstrate kinship and pedigree, any ethnic info) and (nuture- emotional connection to family history).

Maybe if your lucky- you research both. I've seen charts that include room for all our familes.

But how do you pass the info you've collected on to your decendants?
I've told my children, and they're aware of any records that future generations may run across doing their genealogy will not reflect my adoption, and they will search down the wrong family trees if they are seeking blood ancestors. Ive wrote it all down in the family bible.

Can you think of any other way to pass the info on to my ggg grandkids?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 6:26 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Adoption

• Adopteeme-
    I have no clue..I'm sorry... as the parent of an IA kiddo with no link at all to her natural family, I have no clue how to go about it. We don't even have an idea *who* dd's natural parents are since she is adopted from China...sigh...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think you need to create a trail for them that mentions the adoption. With a natural child, there is a birth certificate. With an adopted child, there is a birth certificate plus adoption papers. My sons were adopted as embryos throughan infertility clinic.  I am their birth mother even thou I'm not genetica;lly related to them.  When it comes to doing family tree assignments for school, I help them include both their genetic/donor and birth/adopted families.  I think I need to better note how they joined our family in their baby book so future generations will have this info.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• It is not like slaves got to stay with family or keep careful records. And most all was lost when taken from their native home land :(. My gift to his entire family is to be able to give them back what was lost for so many generations. I'm hopeful technology will be even more advanced than what it is in a few years to gleen even more insight into all that genetic and cultural history.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You may never know the who or what line exactly you are desended from....but extensive DNA testing can tell you what parts of the world your families of orgin are from. For $2000.000 we are having my son genetically tested to see which areas in Africa he is from. In many cases they tell you the regions and can Jarrod down the tribes. It will also narrow down what Eruopean, Asian, and Native American heritages as well. It can be costly but I think worth. Then doing history research of the area for them. I would like to also travel those places and create a travel log. I know that having personal items such as a diary/journal would interest me if I found things from my ancestors. Odd thing is...I'm sure it will be no problem finding my son's birth family again. We have the information to find them. What is funny is will know more about their way back orgins.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:52 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You can find what exact regions in china her heritage is. It is a big country and knowing what region of orgin would be fantastic. This isn't limited to just a few. We can all do it. Imagine growing up hating Jewish people and finding out you are who you hate. It has some interesting consequences for finding your family heritage.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:00 AM on May. 19, 2011

• We do know where she is from, but nothing past that...we have hit a stumbling block with her former orphanage director. He refuses to release her information to us even though she hasn't been there for 4 years. Bleh....
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• mcginnisc, wouldnt it be great if everyone involved in adoption got a nice big dose of sodium pentathol? truth serum! giggles- it would take care of a lot of problems!!!
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 8:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Adopteeme-

Oh my...YES!!!!!!! It really baffles the mind that he refuses to give us her file, but what can I do... I'm fighting against the Chinese government essentially...bummer...really my only complaint about the whole Chinese post adoption process...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:37 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You think you know...but perhaps not. She could be from a region by birth but her family orgin can be some place else. Particularly if records are not released it could at least offer her some information. Imagine finding out you for sure have roots in a way different part of China from the place of your reported birth. Perhaps even her own birth parents lost that over tge generations. Testing genetic heritage through DNA can be the best gift ever.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:07 AM on May. 22, 2011

• You can't know everything. We have an illegitimate birth in our family (1892). The mother refused to name the father even on her death bed in 1927. It is a fact of genealogy that eventually you hit a wall. But rest assured that there are programs out there with more than just the simple trees. I use a very old copy of Family Tree Maker. You can put notes on individualpeople and you can write books that include charts, pictures, stories... Write down everything you know and give your kids disk copies and printed copies. That is how most genealogies are passed. Be sure to give them the printed copy. System up-grades could mean your disk doesn't fit into any know slot 20 years from now.  I'm hoping the newer version of these programs have accommodations for adoptions.  Mine doesn't but it is circa 1995.  With the one I useI would just have two files marked birth family and adopted family.  Combine them into one narrative.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:58 AM on May. 23, 2011