How to keep my daughter from talking to stranger?

my daughter who is 5 years old like to talk to a lot of people and almost walk out of pick n save with some man. how to I deal with this problem?

kittycat813

Asked by kittycat813 at 6:49 AM on May. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like my youngest(that is now 26 going to be 27 in june). I had to watch her like a hawk. It is hard and tiring to do. But that is the only way I know how to do it. When out and about, make her hold your hand or onto the cart.

Answer by louise2 at 6:55 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Frankly.. Spank your daughters fanny the next time she talks to a stranger.. Tell her this is not safe to do.. and if you do it again.. I will spank your fanny again.

This is almost as dangerous as walkin out in traffic!
    Jesuscares4you

Answer by Jesuscares4you at 7:20 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would pick up some stranger danger vidioes and watch them with her. Explain that it is dangerous and if she continues I agree with the spnaking her she needs to understand that this is dangerous and not everyone is nice and safe.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would concentrate on teaching her not to go anywhere with strangers or take anything from someone she doesn't know without asking you first. My children were all very friendly, and they talked to everyone. They were taught not to ever get into a car or leave our presence without our permission. You can teach that in conjunction with teaching them to obey and respect you without making them fearful of every person they don't know. I have a 3-year old grandson who is the friendliest child I've ever known, including his mom, but he wouldn't go anywhere with anybody he didn't know.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:41 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Personally I am not one for spanking. I would try and talk to her and explain that she is not allowed to talk with strangers because you don't want her to get hurt. Explain things in a way that she will understand. You will have to watch her very closely. If you are okay with spanking then I would still talk to her and let her know that if she talks with strangers she is going to get spanked, that way she is warned.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:41 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Talking to strangers is something we do every day. We talk to store clerks all the time. We ask were bathroom are. The BIG thingis that your DD doesn't LEAVE a store with a stranger. There are some good videos about this. I'd see which ones you could borrow from your local library on this.  We have an older one called 'Big Bird Gets Lost'.  It encourages a child to ask a store clerk or a 'mom' and to stay in the store.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• First of all: You NEVER want to encourage her to NOT talk to strangers. NO "Stranger Danger".

What happens if she is truly in an emergency and you've taught her not to talk to strangers...it will backfire.

Teach her rules associated with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:00 AM on May. 19, 2011

• think you for the avice. I hope it works. My daughter is too friendly she know her mom , dad and grandma first and last name. so she know when lost to tell someone I hope that someone is not a bad person.
    kittycat813

Comment by kittycat813 (original poster) at 11:34 AM on May. 19, 2011

• starnger danger video or book
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 2:21 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Never let her out of your site, try the stranger danger talks and movies and books. Its so scary these days you can't be careful enough.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:21 PM on May. 19, 2011