Wth!! my guinea pig died!!

I don't understand why. He was nearly a year old, so it's not like he was too old. He has food, water, and hay. His cage gets cleaned out every week, it got cleaned out yesterday. And he gets fresh fruit and celery every day. This morning he was just laying there with his eyes open dead and he wasn't in his tunnel like he usually is. He seemed depressed when we first got him but over the last few months, he's been very vocal and active. He gets to play outside several times a week, in a huge child playpen. Is there any reason why this could have happened? I had to sneak the cage out of the house while my 3 year old wasn't looking.

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 7:33 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Pets

• They die. They are rodents and don't have a very long lifespan to begin with. I am sorry that your pig died.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:38 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Could have been a defect, could have been the cleaner you used (or something in the bedding- in 1996 I got a bad batch of bedding that killed a couple of my babies, I was devastated. It happens), he could have had an intestinal blockage from something he ingested... I could go on and an about the possible reasons. It happens.

Personally, I won't keep any of the social critters alone. They become severely depressed (especially Rats- we have 4 little girls, 2 are 18 months old, 2 are about 6 months old), they shouldn't be alone- the more the merrier. The same applies to hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, mice, rats and guinea pigs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:53 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I say intestinal blockage...it happens...a LOT.

We had one pig live years on end. One lived a year and one made it a couple months. The first dies because of a freak accident and overheating. The other two had the classic blockage symptoms, but, I didn't realize until too late...next time, if you notice even a very slight change in them or their defecating, get some olive oil down them to help move stuff along.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• aww, i'm so sorry. we would be heart broken if ours died!! did you have him near a vent or a window. they can get too cold or over heated
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• what kind of fruit did you give him daily? you know they must have vit c to live because their bodies do not produce it.. we give ours oaranges. you can even put vit c in the water. did you do that?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2011

Guinea pigs live longer than dogs. If you don't have any insight don't answer. Some people actually love their pets.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Awwww.... poor thing! I'm so sorry! A lot of things could have happened... although the average lifespan of a guinea pig is about five to seven years, not all of them get to that age. One of my pigs died last summer at 18 months of age- she had maloccluded teeth which caused an abscess that spread to the bone of her jaw and then caused septicemia- unfortunately in spite of surgery and antibiotic treatment she just did not make it. There is probably no way to tell exactly what went wrong- small animals can get very sick very fast. They also hide illness very well, so may not show obvious symptoms until an illness is far advanced. They are prone to problems like URIs (upper respiratory infections- those can get bad very quickly.) They are also prone to intestinal problems like bloat, which can also get out of hand quickly.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:55 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Con't. One thing which I've started to do is to weight my pigs weekly- weight loss is an early indicator of a problem. In this way I hope that if one of them develops a problem, I will catch it a bit earlier by seeing a trend in weight loss. I feel bad that if I had caught the problem with Frenzy's teeth earlier, she probably could have lived a much longer life with regular dental work. :(
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Just a thought, since you mention he was outside weekly- is there any chance that there was pesticide use on the ground where he was playing? They do eat the grass and are prone to toxins just like everything else. This happened to my cousin's two guinea pigs- they bought a new house and it didn't occur to her that the previous owner might have been using weed killer or pesticide on the lawn. She let them outside to eat the grass, and unfortunately they were both poisoned by grub killer that the previous owner had been using and both passed away.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:59 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Matthewscandi, as you said, don't have insight, don't answer.

GP's DO NOT live longer than all dogs. Some dogs can live upwards of 18 years.

How Long Will It Live? A guinea pig will usually live to be 4 to 8 years old. Sometimes they live longer and sometimes they live shorter then that. Four to eight years is just an average of how long guinea pigs live. If you adopt a guinea pig, take it to a vet as soon as you can to make sure that they are healthy. Some humane societies give you the first vet check for free. After that, you're on your own.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:17 AM on May. 20, 2011