Which is it?

If the "right" to circumcise should be protected as a religious right, why do so many of the exact same people championing it lose their damn minds whenever the subject of people voluntarily adhering to Sharia Law in the US comes up? Is there a better reason than one is their religion and the other is not, or is there really some complex logic to explain why a religious practice that actually involves involuntary surgery on another person is more justifiable than a religious-based arbitration process that typically involves no physical contact at all?

(and before someone decides to be a drama queen, it should be pointed out that Sharia or not, the things like stoning or lashing that come up in other countries are still illegal here, no matter what system of religious law, Sharia, Halakha or otherwise, is used for civil matters)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:10 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because in America its socially accpetable to Cast them as murdering terrorists who are out to destroy America...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Is this a circumcision question or a Sharia question? Is it a spin off of another question?
    Sharia law should not ever "come up" here in the first place and I doubt "religion" is the main reason people circumcise in the United States. I don't think the Jewish people are practicing Sharia law for the most part. The logic in it is in one persons mind alone.
    There is also a very good argument for it that comes from Dr.s and the same from the other side.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• ......sigh......
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i didn't know it was a protected 'religious' right. i simply thought of circumcision as a personal choice, made by parents. religion never entered my mind when we circ'd ds...other than the fast prayer of ''please God, don't tell me that lazy-eyed doctor is the one performing the surgery!!" (he was..and all is well.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:34 AM on May. 19, 2011

• All other religions are evil to the religious right, didn't you know that and unless you adhere to the Christian faith, you are trying to remove their rights to practice their faith and beliefs just by simply practicing your own.

Good thing all Christians are not like that.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't really care what people do as long as federal, state and local laws are followed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Well, since we link our right to circ to our religion, then it would be awfully hypocritical of me to keep the same religious right from someone else. If it is something they voluntarily do, it doesn't adversely effect the people around them, I don't care. Their religion, their life, their choice.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I fully support the religious rights of others. Then again, I'm educated about Islam and their process, and don't buy into the anti-Islam hype and paranoia....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:58 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I look at religious beliefs and practices as I do everything else. If it's not harming anyone besides the adult person who chooses to do it (in the case of smoking or drinking or something) there shouldn't be anyone trying to stop it. I see no issue with making laws that require CHILDREN to be left out of religious practices which may include alcohol or peyote or something like that, but as an adult, it's your choice. When it comes to Sharia Law, it should be up to the ADULT who chooses to follow it or not. Again, as long as we aren't talking about a practice which puts someone in danger of death or long term damage, and all parties involved are adult and participating willingly - I may not understand it, but it's completely up to them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 AM on May. 19, 2011

• In a nutshell - because limiting the rights of people following Sharia law doesn't affect them.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:05 AM on May. 19, 2011