Guest Sleeping

Should I invest in an air mattress? I have company coming and would like to give them the basement with a private shower and backyard access (because they smoke) instead of my daughters full size bed upstairs with us. What do you think? Are air mattresses frowned on or rude? Any opinions on purchasing them would be great, too. I've found some for $100 at Walmart...

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:32 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Shopping

• we have a futon that we use as our guest bed. it folds out into a bed but can be a sofa when not in use. either or works really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would say an air mattress is fine. And I would tell them that you do not allow smoking anywhere in your house. It is your house and you are fully within your right to say so.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Oh - I was just trying to give them a comfortable place to smoke instead of standing out in front of the house. They know better. :)
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 8:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes, air mattress are very comfortable and i'm sure they will be fine with being close to a door where they can go in and out and smoke freely and not bother anyone:)
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 9:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Whenever we go and visit my in laws we use an air mattress. It's perfectly fine. They wouldn't expect you to make your daughter give up her bed if the is another option.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:51 AM on May. 19, 2011

• The higher end air mattresses are incredibly comfortable. AeroBed (I think that's it) makes some really comfortable ones, including ones with a built in riser/frame so it blows up to the same height as a bed and isn't just like a mattress on the floor. They are firm and stay inflated, and AeroBeds have built-in quick inflating pumps.

Lower end ones are good for camping, and fine for sleeping on, but might not be the best long term gracious-hostess choice (but worlds better than a floor or usually a couch!)(Also can be good for the displaced child or yourself if you give up your bed)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• air mattresses are great and you can use them even after the guest have left; we have a couple and my kids use them to "camp" out in the living room on sometimes when it is too hot to sleep in their rooms
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:50 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think an air mattress is fine, that way you can have it out when you need it and it is easy to deflate and store..... especially if you have a limited storage space. We have an air mattress, and I think it works out nice. We used to pull it out when the kids had sleep-overs, and the kids loved sleeping on it, and 'camping out' in the livingroom with it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:19 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think that an air matress would be fine. And invest in a queen or king size if you can. They are usually more comfortable for adults.
    GabsMom1

Answer by GabsMom1 at 12:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Ooooo - King size - that might be tempting for ME!!! :) Thanks!!!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 10:28 PM on May. 20, 2011