This has really upset & annoyed me! (Didn't know where to put this)

I just found out that a neighbour was caught drink driving, her court case was today, but the case was closed because the police officer who caught her didn't show up in court, she she got off with NO FINE, NO DRIVING BAN, and NO POINTS ON HER LICENCE! I'm so angry with this! That stupid police man has just left a dangerous woman loose on the roads, she'll probably end up killing someone! The leagal system baffles me sometimes it really does!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 8:41 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't fully blame the police officer ... if they're court dates are not factored into their schedules, they are often unaware of the occurrence. My husband is a cop and the court system dates are handled by another individual which are then supposed to be incorporated into the respective police officer's schedule. Sometimes that individual is not informed of the date and sometimes that individual is actually the one at fault. The cops often times have no way of knowing when these cases go to trial or appear before a judge. The cop could've have been on vacation, or tied up with a more pressing matter, or a host of other factors too. Yes, the system is broken but this is the reality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on May. 19, 2011

• The police officer may be feeling as mad as you.
    quiescence

Answer by quiescence at 8:55 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't know if I'd go off blaming the cop. There's a good chance that his not being there was not his fault. I remember DH got his subpoena on the very day he was supposed to be in court.....about 3 minutes before it's start time. He made it, but late. Another guy he works with NEVER got his subpoena and was then reprimanded for not showing up. There are many other people that could've dropped the ball.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm upset about this too!
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 8:43 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I despise drunk drivers. My uncle was 21 when he was in his way to work on a motorcycle when a drunk tractor trailer truck driver hit and killed him. My great grandfather had a flat tire on the side of the road, he was getting the tire out of the trunk when a drunk hit his car cause the trunk to slam down onto him, he lost use of his legs.
    Drunk driving laws are too mild in the US to begin with and then to see a story like this pissed me off beyond words. When a person chooses to drink and drive, to me, it's no different than if they decide to take a gun, go out in public and start playing Russian Roullette, sometimes aiming at others, sometimes at themselves.
    My husband and I called in on a drunk driver one night. He hit a guard rail on the wrong side of the road and kept going. He pulled off the road and turned off his lights when he noticed he was being followed but we told the cops where he was and they got him.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Why didnt the cops show? was he on duty?

Write to the police department , Mayor and local news outlets to get answers

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would be upset too. That is just wrong. I can see an officer not showing up for a minor violation (2 mph over the speed limit..yes have seen it) or something else minor. But DUI is not minor.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with you, but unfortunately, this happens way too often. My ex got pulled over and the cop made him leave his car on the highway, and I had to get out of bed to pick him up from the police station. But he didn't get ticketed or anything because the cop liked him. I hate how the law only applies to some people.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:51 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Organize a protest with the judge if he had the ability to "hold her over" and choose to let her go or with the state legislature if there was nothing the judge could do because that is the way the laws are written in your state. Organize organize organize and get he media involved. It is government by the people. You are the people. Go fix it.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Excuse my typos, please.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2011