sorry if this sounds dumb but i need help seriously

i know everyone says you'll know when your in labor but what if i don't? its my first and i'm soooo afriad i'm in labor and just think its discomfort. i have been having the worst back pain for weeks now andi know thats normal but all day todayi've just felt a different kind of discomfort. i haven't really been hurting that bad but my tummy keeps getting really tight and my back gets these shooting pains that wrap all the way into my pelvic area andi feel like a stabbing pain in my vagina(tmi?). it not in a pattern but its consistant....i am putting in a call to my doctor does anyone think this is labor?? i was hurting last night also but only in my back. please help!! I'm 39 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• How often is it happening? Is it constant or are you getting breaks?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• could just be braxton hicks readying you for labor!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 11:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My friend was in labor and didnt know it. She was in labor for about a day and a half. When she finally went to the hospital sh was 9 cm and ready to push!! So yea, it can happen. It was her first too. Just wait and see what the doc says when they call you back.....good luck!! BTW...she was only 37 1/2 weeks
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 11:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Also, how far along are you?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• the back pain pretty much stays...the stabbing pains are about evey10 mins. i'm afraid i'm having back labor my mom had back labor with all 4 of her kids and never really feklt anything in her beely only in her back
    Anonymous

• and i'm 39 weeks
    Anonymous

• It sounds like prelabor. You aren't far enough along to be kept in the hospital though. They want your contractions to be longer, stronger, and closer together. They should be pretty rhythmic for real labor. I know how you feel. I hated that answer when I was preggo "you'll know." But that doesn't help you interpret all of the little twinges you get. It's coming soon, but it's not time yet. Hang in there!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I have 3 kids and every labor felt different. So being that ur 39 weeks, it could definately be labor. let us know what the doc says!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 11:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If it is every ten minutes and not going away I would call! That's pretty rhythmic!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i was in preterm labor for 4 weeks, thats what they classified it as.. and then i was induced go figure. I was 42 weeks when i had my baby... go for a walk, drink plenty of water see if anything changes. You aren't supposed to technically go to the hospital unless they are 3min apart lasting under a minute for a few hours... time them and keep track. they told me i'd know and once they induced I knew!
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2008