why does fudge get gritty

sometimes when I make fudge it turns out gritty and sometimes it turns out gritty. What can I do so it dosent turn out gritty?

shellymoore

Asked by shellymoore at 10:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Food & Drink

• sounds like you aren't boiling the sugar mixture long enough to melt the sugar down completely.

my mom's recipe is to have it at a rolling boil for 8 minutes. it's never turned out gritty. also you have to stir constantly
    Anonymous

• It becomes gritty when something causes the sugar to recrystallize. It could be that you're not washing down the sides of the pan in the beginning with water & a pastry brush, then a sugar crystal falls into the syrup, causing recrystallization of the sugar in the syrup. It can also happen if anything else falls into the syrup. A small amount of corn syrup or cream of tartar in the recipe will help also. Don't stir once it comes to a boil, either.
    Also, when you pour it from the pan you cooked it in, don't scrape the pan. There is almost always sugar crystals at the bottom.
    Overbeating at the end, and beating too soon (before the temp drops to 110*f) can also cause it to be gritty or grainy.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• If you make fudge with powdered sugar, it comes out creamy and not gritty. if you need a recipe, I have one. Just PM me and I'll give it to you.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• To keep fudge from getting 'gritty' and having the sugar crystalize, I suggest you add some corn syrup to the boiling sugar.
    shana.maria81

Answer by shana.maria81 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008