Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Psych Ward?

I am not suicidal, I feel like I am not selfish enough to hurt the people who would be affected by my death. Sometimes I wish i was dead but I would never kill myself. I'm miserable obviously depressed, and I am not the mom or wife I used to be, I just have to deal with too much everyday, all day. He's never home, like never. I just want to get fixed, but I'm scared about going somwhere, because I've heard you have to sign you right to leave over to them, And though I understand why i would just feel trapped and it would freak me out. Also I don't know who would take care of my kids, and I don't want everyone to think I'm some crazy lady. Does it sound like I should go? Any advice?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Health

Answers (6)
  • No, get a therapist and maybe some meds from a psychiatrist. Wards are for people who are catatonic or a danger to them self or others

    Answer by GirlWithANikon at 9:12 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • I admitted myself and did NOT sign my kids over to anyone.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • If you can stay home under a doctor's care then I would suggest doing that. I don't know how bad you are even from what you say. This could pass. Mothering life can be amzing and crap in equal measure at times. A close friend has spent a lot of time in psych wards though, being able to come and go as she needs (whenever she feels a danger to herself). You aren't necessarily officially committed if you stay in one. look, contact you doctor and say you need help NOW! If it's anything like my experiences (with BAD PND) they will offer psychotherapy, meds, group counselling and home visits. Don't keep this bottled up.

    Answer by quiescence at 9:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • Please see your doctor & tell him how much you're hurting inside. Look online (, or for the signs & symptoms of depression, & write down the symptoms they list that you think best describe how you're feeling right now. Take that list to your doctor with you. Depression is an illness & it can be treated successfully. Please dont be ashamed or afraid to reach out for help, you'll be so glad you did. DO NOT allow any doctor to brush your feelings off as "hormonal" either, as so many dr's are fond of doing to us women today no matter what our age. One more thing I'd like to add; an underactive thyroid; known as Hypothyroidism, can cause severe depression. You might want to ask to have a thyroid panel done as well, which is simple blood work. There is help for you out there, but it wont come knocking on your door; you have to reach out for it yourself. I wish you all the best!!

    Answer by RubyinPA at 9:42 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • Have you spoken to your family doctor about this? a therapist?
    I had my doctor sign me into the hospital for 8 days, and I didn't have to sign my rights away at all.
    They actually wanted me to leave before I was ready (damn doctor!)

    If nothing else, call your local crisis line!

    Answer by mrsvixen at 10:14 AM on May. 19, 2011

  • Please remember that there is NOTHING crazy about getting the help that you need and deserve. It sounds like you are feeling incredibly overwhelmed right now with life. Please do not hesitate to check yourself in if you feel you are getting to that point, it is better late than never! I imagine like in most states, that if you find that you do want to leave that most of time it is totally your decision to sign yourself out!

    Answer by Shellbell001 at 7:59 PM on May. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.