what to do if baby can't sleep?

So she is 5 months old and she goes to bed at 8 and then wakes up at 11pm, 1am, 3am, and then 4am, I try giving her a pacifier at 4 and she takes it and lies there for a while and makes a lot of noise in her room and won’t go to bed. I try giving her a bottle and she’ll take it and then still be wide awake. I try lying her with me or near me in a crib next to me and that definitely does not work. I’ve tried letting her cry to sleep after 4 but she cries for an hour and makes lots of noise and still is up at 5:30and won’t go back to bed. In the day time I try to get her to only take 2-3 naps which she does and I have a bed time routine. Bath, sit with her dad and me for a couple of minutes and read, then a bottle and a song. Then I lie her down in her crib with her pacifier and she sometimes cries for like5 minutes and goes to sleep. She usually is a happy baby, but she just wont sleep. What do I do?

KaylynK

Asked by KaylynK at 9:15 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be teething
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:16 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Shorter naps? My DD is 4mo and takes 3 1 hr naps and sleeps 9 hrs overnight. Is this something sudden, or has it always been this way? She may be going through growth spurts, maybe she's hungry?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:17 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Enjoy the time with her that she is awake. Babies don't sleep at night. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:19 AM on May. 19, 2011

• She sounds over tired to me. I had one just like this and eventually she became more and more grumpy and tense and not so nice to know as a result. I tried keeping her awake in the day (but boy i wanted to break while she napped!) but it didn't make any difference to the nights at all. I casually complained to a paed' nurse and she said "she's overtired. Try forcing her to sleep as much as possible during the day. Give her a 3 hour wake period and then put her down for the night. You'll see". It worked! The next day I drove her round and round and she slept loads. Then at night she slept right through!

quiescence

Answer by quiescence at 9:29 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I found with my other kids this worked like a dream The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night

Pacifiers can cause problems too though and often 5 month olds will still need a night feed.

Pantley's book explains well why more sleep, effects of exercise and food, can distrupt a baby's sleep. Really reco' you buy the book. Good luck!

quiescence

Answer by quiescence at 9:31 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You may can shorten her naps and try to keep her up more during the day and don't make the last nap bee to lat in the evening, but at that age they are really too young to understand that night time is time to sleep. My daughter is 9 months and was finally sleeping, but she has been sick latley and has not been sleeping at all. So i feel your pain. Hope things get better for you. Oh and also, try making sure her tummy is full when you put her down for the night. At that age it is okay to indroduce baby food or cereal. Good Luck.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 9:32 AM on May. 19, 2011

• how logn is her nap time? maybe cut her nap from 2 to just 1 nap a day. My son usually doesn't nap much and even if he does it will be 15 to 30 min a day and he sleeps really well at night. Of course you have to do the same routine everyday. IIs the room too coldor too hot? Does she have stuffy nose? She could be teething, but every 2 hrs is way too often, maybe check her out ear infection? mild fever? I remember someone told me her daughter does the same when she has a fever. Maybe play the mobile music for her when she wakes up?
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I had the same problem....teething is a possibility at 5 mo. She should still be eating 1-2 times a night. I have also always played an ocean waves CD in the background since mine was little....seems to help.
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 10:47 AM on May. 24, 2011