When do I have enough evidence?

I work in a mostly male occupation. At my place of work there is a guy that is sexually harassing me. I don't work for him, but when my boss goes to corporate meetings he leaves him in charge. This happens atleast one week a month. He's a jerk, and everyone that works for him agrees.... He's been written up in the past. Once for a DUI. Once for complaint letters. Once for fishing on base without a license during company work hours. He allways seems to get out of it! Anyone else would have been fired for anyone of those offenses and they all happened to him in the space of 6 months. He treats me the worst. Many of the guys I work with have told me it's sexual harassment, but none of them agree to come forward on my behalf. They are all certain he won't be fired for it and will than treat them as bad as he treats me. I need this job! I will not quit. It's not even an option.
So what to do? It's clearly my word against his. It's a big company and they have a harassment hotline, but corporate is the one not firing him for his other offenses.
Last week I was working on one of the public computers in the office. We all share 3 computers. Nobody was working on the other 2. The jerk came in and told me I had to get off that one and move to another. I told him I would be done in 3 minutes. I was taking one of our mandatory online safety courses. They are timed, and I showed him the timer saying I only had 3 minutes left. He ordered me to move again. I asked him why he couldn't use the other 2 computers. He said I need this one. I asked, again if he could wait 3 minutes. He logged me off. I did not want to say things I would regret so I stormed out of the office. He is not the kind of person you can reason with anyway. There were 2 of his guys with him, but I don't think they will admit what happened. Should I call corporate? If he doesn't get fired for it it will make my life much worse.

Ms.Gwen

Asked by Ms.Gwen at 9:27 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well I don't think you can use the comments that he made to you at a bar, but everything else you listed is valid for sexual harassment and discrimination! I think you need to write the dates down to best of your knowledge and contact your HR department, after you contact a lawyer. I don't want them sweeping this under the rug, so you need to get a lawyer to go with you,, they will probably work for free until you get a settlement of some sort, Usually , if a lawyer offers to do this, it is a good sign you have a very strong case, and to me it sounds like you do,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:53 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You dont need proof. Most of the time companies take sexual harassment or bias seriously. What you described doesnt sound like sexual harassment? Has he propositioned you? Asked you out? Touched you in an inappropriate way? If not then it isnt sexual harassment. Now he could have something against you simply because you are a woman in a field men are in as you stated. That would be considered gender bias in the workplace. I would report it either way.

Answer by gemgem at 9:34 AM on May. 19, 2011

• sounds like the guy is just an ass and doesn't like you. I don't think it is sexual harassment, just an office bully.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on May. 19, 2011

• kimigogo is right, DOCUMENT everything and the send it to corporate when you can show a consistent pattern of inappropriate behavior, but it doesn't sound sexual
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:41 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would write a letter and call.
    Anonymous

• That doesn't sound like anything they'd fire him for. What are some other examples of things he's done?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:30 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I don;t think it is sexual in nature, he sounds like a big ol'bully! Do you have other examples? Do you have any emails he has sent you? Have you talked to your boss about his actions? Is this jerk normal when his boss is around? How do you get written up for DUI? I think you have a discrimination case more so than harassment. I would keep a notebook and document every instance, time and place where anything occurs,, good luck, it sucks to have to work this way!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:37 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't see any sexual harassment. I see regular harassment, which should also never have to be tolerated.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yeah I would say something and now when you do I would be prepared for the backlash because it will come and it will be him but if you can live with it, stay the course. I can say this because when I worked at M.... well yes a manager was sexually harassing me and he would dry hump me and do all kinds of gross stuff to me like follow me in the bathroom when I was cleaning had it not been for this guy from Texas being so vocal and having a 17 year old daughter of his own it would have kept going on. The manager over him cut my hours and said if I did not leave him alone I would get fired the only managers who supported me were the hiring managers and in the end they moved him to another store. Juts be prepared.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:09 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would call the anonymous hotline and see what advice they have to offer.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 9:30 AM on May. 19, 2011