Please... for cat lovers only?

My husband and I went out and bought really nice leather furniture.
One day we stepped out for something and came back and notice cat scratches on our leather sofas...I wanted to scream...my husband wanted to kill, not really but we were so pissed at my cat, my husband said you better do something with your cat or I will. I was sad for my cat but at the same time disappointed in her I know she is a cat she has to scratch but never did I think she would do this.
The only thing I came up with was to get a cage and let her live in there, she messed up now she is doing time in there. I do let her out once in awhile when he is not here. but that was the best I could do...she used to roam around the house now she can't. (as much). Any ideas for a better living place, I don't want to get rid of her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Pets

• Please do not declaw your cat. I can not even believe that people are suggesting that.  I would try scratching posts / spray bottle option.  If you get your cat declawed and it gets out, it can not defend itself, plus that is the equivalent to cutting off the first digit of a human finger. It is very painful. 

Brugmansialvr

Answer by Brugmansialvr at 1:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• a cage isnt the best answer...can you close off where the leather is...or put her in a bigger room...

we used a water sprey bottle..if they did bad we spreyed them...buy her a scraching post. or wood. she will learn no...
    how old is she
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Get her declawed? It doesn't cost that much at all and then you can all live together in peace.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Try these. Local vets carry them and you can find them cheap on Ebay. It really isn't fair to make her live in a cage. If you can't find an alternative you can live with, you should find her a new home. (And please don't declaw her, it is horrifying).

http://www.softpaws.com/
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm with slinkee...get her declawed.

not real sure why you thought she wouldn't scratch a leather sofa... cats scratch on things to sharpen their claws...cats are carnivores...leather is cow (animal)... of course the cat is gonna be all over the sofa.
    Anonymous

• If it were me, I would get a kitty scratchpost and put it near the furniture. Then arm yourself with a spray bottle full of water and let her out. Instead of punishing her and keeping her in a cage, teach her that the furniture is "claws off", and provide something else for her to scratch. They make some scratch toys you can put catnip in to attract them to it. Depending on the size of her cage you could put the toy in with her for a while so she gets used to scratching it and will be more likely to use it when let out.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Just wanted to note that the softpaws can be dangerous, I've seen many cats injured from getting those things stuck in cloth/curtains/lace and then trying to get free. They have a tapered front but blunt back end and what goes in does not so easily come back out.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It's just a couch... an animal is more inportant.
    Anonymous

• if you declaw and if she gets out how is she expose to defend her self...that is a only thing....
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• declaw front only. this is the ones they scratch furniture with. leave back claws for defense if she gets outside.
    Anonymous