I am overwhelmed with stress! My husband is laid off and I am working full time. My husband is using his side job money to build a new bathroom that we can not afford! ....more said....

I work out of the house 6 days a week which is hard for me since I have four kids I have to be away from...one is a 6 month old. So that is stressful enough but I am not making nearly enough to cover all the bills and my husband is using his side job money for the remodel. I have tried to tell him lets get caught up first before he begins this project but he goes and buys things for it anyway against my request. Can I get your opinion..am I overreacting????? Yes it would be nice to have a bathroom but at work I find most nights I want to cry. I am a server and we are slow some of the nights and the pressure of the bills and not knowing how much I will make is consuming me. I am building resentment that he would be me in this postition. What is your opinion????

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:40 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• Yeah I know how you feel I barely make enough to keep food on the table but I work every angle I would sit him down and say hey the bathroom is going to be real nice for the next people who own the house. Do not sugar coat it tell him how it is. We need to pay the bills not build a bathroom we cannot afford right now.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think you are right about his priorities being off kilter........try talking to him about how stressed you really are.......when my DH was out of work he did side jobs too but I will give him credit, he did what he could toward the bills.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:45 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think it depends on what you are having to go without for the remodel. It definitely adds value to your home, and I think that it is probably a great investment both in something you will use for your family, but also as something that will up your resale value when you sell your home eventually.

If you are truly struggling to pay your basic bills, yes, it needs to wait, but I don't think it is unreasonable for you both to be working and paying for things that will benefit you in the long run.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• sit him down and explain how much this is stressing you out....he might be doing the bathroom to keep buzy and not have to think about the stress himself....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Perhaps he's doing the bathroom as it's the only way he feels *useful*? Like he's actually doing something?
    I think you need to tell him directly how it's affecting you!
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:08 AM on May. 19, 2011