What can I do?

My teen daughter ALWAYS!!! has to have the last word. If I would let it would go on and on but I'm the one to stop and she continues. How can I handle this with her smart mouth? She is saying things like 'whatever...' I don't care, rolling of the eyes, grunts, mumbles, on and on...slams doors. How do you stop this type of disrespect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think the door idea is great and I have heard other parents say it works. Tell her "This door is a part of my house that I pay for and if you are going to abuse it then I dont want you to have it. I am taking it away until you can respect my property." lol...it is also kinda funny.

As for the comments, they dont even deserve a response. But if she is going to be rude to you then refuse to talk to her until she comes to you respectfully. When she asks to go somewhere say "No I really dont want to talk to you about it because you keep having an attitude when we talk. You dont have my permission. I hope you start being nicer so we can talk about these things!"
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:49 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Sounds like typical teenager behavior to me.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• refuse to give in and if doors are slammed then she doesnt need a door period....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:50 AM on May. 19, 2011

• If I REALLY want to get my daughter's attention, I take away her phone. She knows I mean business then. Good luck. :)
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2011

• You need to ask her why does she feel she needs to challenge the person that feeds, clothes, and provide a roof over her head, and that disrespecting her mother will bring her nothing but bad luck, ask her to write down on paper if she can't tell you to your face what her problem is and you are not her friend but her mother and needs to honor that
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Is it really a deal breaker for you? If not, then ignore it. Most do that at their age. She will grow out of it

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yep, welcome to the teen years.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:11 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Take doors off, give punishment if she doesn't stop.
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 4:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Someone has to have the last word. I don't see why it matters who has it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• sounds like a typical teenager..sorry!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 7:16 PM on May. 19, 2011