Coffee grinds in the garden

Ok I know that you can get coffee grinds from Starbucks for free and that it is great way to give some extra juice to acid loving plants. I want to put some on my azaleas and a few other plants but can't seem to find a good soil or plant to coffee ratio to do this, any tips?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 9:51 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I use both grounds and left over black coffee from the coffee maker. It does help some. You just have to make sure the coffee is cool and has NOTHING else added to it or you end up with the same situation the pp stated lol. I dont measure either. I usually just put it out there where I want it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Wow..I must be doing it wrong. I do no calculations. I just toss my grounds into the garden and let the worms take care of it. I also crunch up my egg shells and empty my tea bags and mix up the used coffee grounds and toss it into my garden and potted plants. They LOVE it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:00 AM on May. 19, 2011

• This reminded me of something- I heard coffee was good for plants so when my coffee would get cold in my mug at work I would dump it in the plant. One day the office stunk awful. We spent about 3 days cleaning out the closets, thinking we had a dead mouse or something. We could not figure out what the awful smell was. Finally we figured out it was the plant. The plant had been draining into a saucer under it. I used plenty of creamer and the milk had curdled between the pot and saucer. It was soooo nasty. They made fun of me forever about this!

Stick with grounds and not whats in your mug!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:19 AM on May. 19, 2011

• LOL@ria7 :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:31 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I just throw them out in the yard, or garden. Mother nature takes care of the rest.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:33 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I've never heard of "ratios" either, just dump your coffee grounds (or old coffee that didn't get drank the day before). The plants LOVE the nutrients from the coffee.

Borders here has Seattle's Best coffee grounds for free. But I don't make a trip there just for the grounds, LOL.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:22 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Just put it in there...no calculating needed. You will see !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've heard you just put them on. Nobody ever mentioned calculations.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I never heard of calculations.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Lol ^
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 7:38 PM on May. 19, 2011