What has been your experiences with adult ADHD and medication?

I have learned I have adult ADHD and am debating about medication. I haven't decided if the benefits of it outweigh any risks. Can you please share any experiences you or a family member or friend may have had?

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 9:59 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Health

• I take Concerta for ADHD and it makes a HUGE difference in my efficiency and my focus. I also lost some weight when I started taking it. The wrong dose or wrong med can be awful. I took Adderall for two days and it was a terrible experience. The drugs can make you a little edgey, so sometimes you also need an antidepressant or need medication for sleeplessnes at first. I also had some superwoman issues when I first took it because I was so focused, had energy and could get away with less sleep/food so I actually worked myself to sickness and exhaustion.
    If you have no medical history that makes this medication a risky proposition I would try it, and don't give up on the first meds if it doesn't make you feel good. In six months if you don't look back and see a true improvement in how you stick to things, your relationships, your work/home organization levels and your ability to stick to a plan then and only then give up.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:18 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My DH is on-again-off-again with his medication. I think it's a toss up. When he's taking the meds, during the day he's more focused and he's more productive, but when the meds are wearing off at the end of the day, he's crabby, irritable and moody. Days that he doesn't take the meds, he's distractable, doesn't accomplish his tasks, and that makes him crabby, irritable and moody. About the only time he's relaxed and laid back is when he doesn't have anything pressing to accomplish.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My 22 yr old son was recently diagnosed with ADD. It's helped him be able to focus better. They had to do a bit of adjusting at first with the dose. Sounds like your Dh's meds might need to be adjusted. I'd call the Doc and see what they think. If it turns out nothing can be done then I'd go with the meds and the late day attitude. Your Dh is old enough and mature enough to work on controlling his crabby attitude when it hits. ADHD or not.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:09 AM on May. 19, 2011

• my BIL has ADHD and he wouldn't take his meds.. He's VERY ANNOYING and leaves his kids with my sister all the time..for weeks at a time cause he wont grow up.. and keeps going to jail for stupid things.. i think YES Medication is the only answer for some people out there. My sister believes that he's not the person she met when he's taken his medication so she doesn't mind if hes immature because thats the person she met.. idk i think he's a grown man and needs to do whats right for his family.
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 10:16 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I am 32 and was diagnosed with ADHD and the 3 meds i tried make me SO ANGRY I couldn't do that to my family. I am trying natural approaches but it doesn't seem to help yet..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:11 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My DH is on meds for it, and it makes him do SO much better at work. He is more focused and gets more done. But I agree with some of the others- he is a bit irritable in the afternoons when he comes home. It's a trade off that some people just have to make, I guess. I can deal with it :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:42 AM on May. 19, 2011

• At 13 I was diagnosed with depression, did what the counselors told me to do, played the wonderful game of musical pills, yet anytime I would inquire about AD/HD (two of my brothers and mother were diagnosed at the time) to my doctors or counselors it was always brushed aside as nothing. Fast forward another 13 years where I was experiencing the most hellish 2 years of work that I'd ever experience, and I was ready to check myself in. Decided to get back on meds (despite the nagging voice in my head reminding me how little it worked last time), but realizing that something was better than nothing. Went back on Lexapro (which I had taken before) and thinking that I would have SOME relief, instead my body became more tense and irritable, I could hardly sleep without getting up and down during the night, etc.,etc. It was when I was relaying my symptoms to a friend of mine that she suggest I ask my doctor about ADHD..cont'd
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 7:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• because she has it also and could relate to many of the feelings that I was having. The light bulb went off in my head, duh why didn't I think of that sooner, oh yeah I did, but I just placed way too much trust with the doctors and counselors instead of trusting what my gut had been telling me all along! So I did my homework, spoke with my mother about it, read up about it until i felt confident enough to go and ask my new psychiatrist. Thankfully the psychiatrist was WONDERFUL and actually listened to me, I told her the symptoms I was experiencing (I had to write them down ahead time otherwise I would have totally blanked out). Bipolar was ruled out for me because I had already played the musical pills game before that included mood stabilizers that often time left me high as a kite! It was also helpful for me that I had a brother who was taking adderall at the time, and my mother found that it worked better...con'td
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 7:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• for her compared to ritallin. Needless to say, when I started taking adderall it was for me like putting on a pair of glasses for the first time. I could finally see the details in my life that before were blurry and difficult for me grasp! After over two years I continue to take adderall along with an anti-depressant. Medications alone do not solve my issues, in fact I find that I am trying to catch up and learn things that I missed years ago because of my foggy brain. But I do find that medication has helped me greatly to get my brain back on track. I've found that after taking adderall I could actually sit down and relax my mind and body (something I could never completely do before), and surprise, surprise, my horrible back pains began to get better because I could now relax my back muscles on my own! I still have a ways to go and a lot to learn and I am grateful that I finally found a professional who would actually...
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 7:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

• listen to me. Remember that one medication that works for someone else, may not be a good fit for you. I've talked to some people who could not tolerate the side effects of adderall, but were fine with other meds like Ritalin or Concerta. Unfortunately when it comes to figuring out the right meds, it may entail some trial and error, and keep in mind that you may not be able to avoid all of the side effects (for me a dry mouth is what I notice the most). Trust what your body and mind are telling you, if something doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to go back to your doctor, it may be the dosage amount, or that you need to try another type.If you do try adderall, for me I was flying high like a kite for the first 2-3 weeks of me taking it, but after that, I began to level out and not feel so overly perky (which was kinda scaring me seeing that I'm more of a pessimistic and sarcastic type!) Good Luck and be persistent!
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 7:25 PM on May. 19, 2011