Does anyone have a problem with their 2yr old going into the fridge without asking?

I feel like I need to put a padlock on the door. My 2yr old has picked up his appetite and is eating up everything. I don't mind as long as he ask. Last night I got him ready for bed and left the room. I went to go change dd and feed her before putting her down. When I was done I went into the living room and there was ds sitting in the recliner eating a piece of chicken! I asked dh if he gave it to him, he said no he thought I did. This is not the first time he has done this. He get yogurt for snack, but he has a habit of getting it as soon as he is done with breakfast. While typing this he just went and got a piece of cheese! I have stop giving him liquids a certain time and night and before going to bed I will catch him with a bottle of water up to his mouth. I have tried talking to him about this but it seems like it is going through one ear and out the other. Anyone else had this problem?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 10:03 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol mine gets about 15 pieces of cgeese out a day....go to Walmart and they have a fridg lock, and it works well unitl about age 4! GOOD LUCK!
    lovingMomOf5..

Answer by lovingMomOf5.. at 10:05 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes fridge lock..its a strap that sticks to the door and you unsnap. Maybe a kitchen gate. Sounds like he needs activity. I was watching a 2 yr old that did the same thing...I had to give him lots of activity otherwise he was wanting to eat. So we had a lot of quality time finger painting, riding bikes, playing in the sand, playing with stickers, reading books, dancing and listening to music, playing with playdough, playing cars. Makes me tired just thinking about it. If you have a baby too it could be for attention. So as much as you can spend some one on one with him.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Mine does the same thing, and he's a cheese HOG! lol He loves that it is something he can get for himself and open by himself.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• my son say" hmm mama whats good in here!" he only 3 and he tells me also "mama i feel like eating some ham and fries with ketchup"...lol or sometimes i catch him in here i ask him papi what r u doing? he tells me mama hmmm r u hungry"...lol
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 12:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We had that issue with DD1 until DH build a half-door to keep her out of the kitchen. The doorknob is above her head and it locks from the inside and swings outward. The only problem is she now has amazing lock-picking skills...
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 6:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• They make these straps for appliances that cost $5, invest in one
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:24 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Mine too! We got three different kinds of fridge lock, Ds figured the first 2 out. Sounds just like my Ds.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:25 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I had the same problem with all 3 of my DSs. I solved that problem. I told them that whatever was on a certain shelf they could have without asking DH and I. Be sure to have some healthy snacks on that shelf, such as, carrot or celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, or cheese cubes. I let them know that they were not allowed to get something off of any other shelves. I think that part of them getting into the fridge is due to the fact that they are wanting some independence. It makes them feel like a big kid.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:29 AM on May. 19, 2011

• My kids did more fussing for me to get them things, than they did getting into the fridge themselves. To give them a little independence and get a break from their constant nagging I started to put 'kid friendly/mom approved' snacks and foods and drinks on a certain shelf in the fridge and told the kids if they could have what was on that shelf-- as needed. The stuff I did not want them to have I put up higher, or shoved in a drawer out of sight.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:43 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I have toddler twins & we had an issue with them figuring out they could open the fridge door last year. (It was right around their 2nd birthday; they weren't very verbal yet but their receptive language was very strong so they definitely understood lots.) I was stressed about this because of fear of "what might happen" & loss of control (I don't want to engage in power struggles OR punish/control, so I was fearful about being miserable if this became a big issue & if I reverted to heavy controlling, just to have sanity.)

I acknowledged my fears but focused on noticing what WAS happening in the moment with them, in order to connect with empathy. For them, it was about discovery & excitement...a mighty effort of pulling, & this COLD ROOM opens & a light comes on & stuff is THERE!! I was scared of the potential for mess & destruction, for not being able to do damage control if I didn't know when they got in there, for being "at
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:27 PM on May. 19, 2011