Grocery shopping is a nightmare!!!

I am a sahm with a 2 1/2 yr old ds. I do all the grocery shopping for the family, and unfortunately he has to go with me. I have no one to babysit, and by the time dh is home from work, and we have dinner, it is too late for me to go by myself.

Ds will not ride in the buggy, front or back. He will climb out. If I try to hold him in, he will scream at the top of his lungs. If I let him walk, he will not stay with me or will throw himself in the floor every couple of steps. He will just lay there, wave and tell me BYE! When I go to get him, he goes limp, and just laughs. Trying to carry him is out of the question, he will turn himself practically upside down, or kick me. My groceries have been spit on, thrown across the aisles, or ripped open.

I have never seen another child act like this! I cry while shopping which makes me look even crazier. I am usually soaked in sweat once we leave. I have had to leave without even finishing shopping. My dh has had to come to the rescue a couple of times. I shop in the morning, hoping to get it done before ds gets tired, still does not help. I take snacks, toys, pen, paper, candy.... Nothing works!!!

Anyone been through this?? How did you survive???

AngieBry

Asked by AngieBry at 10:04 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh Mommy.. My son was TERRIBLE for months and months at this age no matter what I tried - you will get some parents saying all it took was them to act out 1 time and that's all it took - My son was terrible...I feel your pain.. Just stay strong. Buckle him in and let him scream - you have to get what you need done. Ignore his screaming and just get your shopping done. Ignore him - ugh Hugs Mama
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes! I have been there too! The only options you have if you have no one else to watch him (like me) is either to go really early in the morning before your DH leaves for work, on the weekends or whatever day your DH is off or at night like I did. Since I am VERY pregnant now & I have a toddler, my DH takes the grocery list to work & shops on his way home. He doesn't get home sometimes until 8pm & then we make sandwiches (he & I since I feed my son early). Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! It is totally not worth the hysterical aggravation & stress of bringing them sometimes. I would rather shop alone anyway & have a clear head. GL.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Also, take him out to the store more often. Kids that aren't used to being in public will act out more in public, just because they are not used to it. I used to take my sister grocery shopping so one of us could keep our nephew under control and the other could grocery shop. He was used to running wild in the store with his mother. After about a month he is behaving MUCH better.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:33 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Poor momma! Do you think he feeds off the reaction you give him, even if its you in tears? I agree to buckle him in and let him throw his fit. Honestly I spank my kids when its called for, and in this case I would pop his little mouth for spitting like that, or take him into the bathroom and spank his little behind, not sure if you're against spanking or not, but that's what I've done.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:16 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Many day cares will take a child for a couple of hours or a single day once a week. Call around and see if you can find a day care that will take him for a Friday morning or afternoon or something. It might cost a little, but if you only do half a day once a week it shouldn't be too bad and it will be well worth it for your sanity. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:23 AM on May. 19, 2011

• He will climb out. If I try to hold him in, he will scream at the top of his lungs. If I let him walk, he will not stay with me or will throw himself in the floor every couple of steps.

He screams because he knows it gets to you. Buckle him in and shop with him screaming, he will stop eventually. Don't worry about what other people think. If you keep him buckled in the buggy reguarly he will figure out that screaming gets him nowhere and he won't even start.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:29 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I have 3 1/2 year old twins, and I do most of my big shopping trips after they go to bed. They are getting better now, but from about 22 months to just past 3 years I really didn't enjoy taking them to the store at all. While practice is important, I would limit it to just small shopping trips for a while. Save your big shopping trips for the evening when your son can stay home with Daddy. You'll enjoy shopping alone and your son and husband can enjoy some male bonding. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:29 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think that was around the age when I started having my kids "help" me with shopping. I gave them their own "list" with pictures of the foods they were responsible for, then we made a game of finding those items and putting them into the cart. If they wandered away or didn't listen, they had to have "time out" in the store. Worked great for us.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:36 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with an above poster, i'd shop with him screaming, other mothers can relate im sure, and if not tuff luck, you do what you need to do. You also could try making it fun for him, it works for SOME kids. Before you go get him pumped up for the trip, get stickers with grocery type pics on them or cut some out and make him his own list, like a snack, bananas, an apple, things he can reach from the cart, once he gets it have him mark it off his list. Have him look for isle numbers up top, tell him isle 7 has your snacks lets look for it. If we get all the things on our list quickly and quietly we can stop and get a donut or cookie at the end, yeahh,,, can't hurt to try, GOOD LUCK! I think target has a grocery store kit for kids, i got one a while back, its in the play kitchen area.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Oh my gosh- I have 4 kids that have to go with me when I go, and if they even acted remotely like what you describe, I'd flip out! If you prefer for him to ride in the cart, strap his butt in and keep putting him back if he tries to climb out. Ignore the screaming- he'll stop when he sees it doesn't get him a reaction. If you stay consistent, he'll learn that sitting in the cart, strapped in and behaving himself is the ONLY way to do things with you. Conversely, you could always just wait until your DH is at home and go then, or make your DH go with you and have HIM deal with DS.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:47 AM on May. 19, 2011