Not sure how to handle this?

My So couldnt find his work phone yesterday morning so he went to work and told them to call his personal phone...well lastnight he kept getting calls on his personal phone from his work phone and heard kids laughing...so he went down the st. to where my DD and her friend were and they had his phone!!! I was pissed..he didnt seem so mad,but my DD know better then that...she of course blames it on her brother,but he is at his dads right now so I cant punish him too...she said he ahd taken it Tuesday night..so it's possible...I sent her to her room for the reast of the night and told her she would be grounded to her room all day today...is that fair? she is 5 but knows better then to take someones phone and it was his work phone...I already told her this is what's going to happen and I'm haing trouble with her listening so would it be right to go back on what i said? or do I need to follow through on it? last time I made her stay in the house all day..she could watch tv...she ws super good so later i let her go play and she started acting up...so should i just follow through even though I think it's kind of a long punishment?

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• oh there are no toys or a tv in her room...there is literally nothing to do,but maybe clean up all the clothes she threw everywhere lastnight
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I think you need to follow thur but I would give her a book to read. She cant sit in there all day and stare at the walls. You can make her clean, my mom used to make us wipe down the doors and base boards.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yeah I think that's what i was having troble with...the fact there is nothing to do...that is just mean...maybe ill print out some things for her to practice her writing letters and stuff
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on May. 19, 2011

• That's a tough one. It is a long punishment, but I think you should stick to your words. I also wonder why the children would take your SO's things. Is it because it's cool and they wanted to play with it or is it because they are being mean and misbehaving? Interesting...
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 10:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would follow through with the punishment you had already set. I don't think you should give extra housecleaning chores as punishment - my mom did that and now everytime I clean something I feel like I'm in trouble. It sounds weird, but it really sucks.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Follow through, but give her something to do-- like clean up those clothes and fix up her room nicely.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• She took it because she wanted tot ake pictures...that was the first thing i checked on the phone...I need to get her 1 of those kid digital cameras she loves taking pictures
    happymama02

Comment by happymama02 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• follow through with it, if you back down she'll see it and continue to act up. Remain calm about following through, no extra yelling etc. But definitely follow through
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I would definitely stick to your words. If you go back on your decision, then your punishments won't mean anything when your kids get older. I do the same thing you do. A lot of times I issue a punishment that is too harsh out of anger and then I want to change it. I keep myself from changing it though so my kids know I'm serious about punishments. Hope this helps!
    amycorp

Answer by amycorp at 12:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• stick to it but do the practice print outs
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 2:20 PM on May. 19, 2011