When you go grocery shopping?

do you make a list beforehand and follow it or do you just walk through the store and pick up things? With us being on a tight budget I make a list and get just what is on it unless I see something I know we are in need of and I forgot to write it down

and if you have to follow a budget is there times that you wish you could just go through and pick up whatever and not have to worry about money?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:44 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Shopping

• I make a list every week. On my list I make note of a coupon I might have for that item and if I ahve an ad-match from another store. I do get things that aren't on the list, but if I don't have one there is no way I can remember everything we need.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I make a list but usually buy more than what is on the list. The list always just has the basics. For instance I will write down "drinks" and I know it means juices, tea, water and things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 10:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Hubby and I both get paid 2x/month and unfortunately our pay days are on the same day. So when we go grocery shopping we have to shop for 2 wks of meals at a time. I make a grocery list, and on the side of the list write down the meals- that way I will know what I am buying for. I also clip coupons (my store does double most coupons everyday) and I buy store brands. Usually my hubs goes with me, and sometimes he will get his own cart and put things in it too. I also buy some items at the dollar stores, Aldi, Big Lots or other 'discount' stores-- which can save a bit of $$. I really have a budget or set amount to spend for groceries.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2011

• we always make a list and go on saturdays...sometimes i find things i forgot to add to the list or my sd will remind me of things
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• we do both depending how tight money is. if we are low on money we buy only what we need and make a list so we don't forget anything
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:47 AM on May. 19, 2011

• i just go though and pick up things.. lol if I made a list i would for sure forget to put something on it. Its probably the best way to do it if you know what you need. And i ALWAYS bring stuff home that i know i don't need! UGH ... list are better
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 10:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I make a list and a weekly menue and it has saved us been doing that for about 1yr now. i never go in a store without a list because i will spend too much. i have a family of 5 and spend between 60-80 s week doing that
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 10:48 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I know I spend 90 dollars every two weeks and build on it I have to have a list to stay in budget.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:49 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I ALWAYS make a list and I ALWAYS seem to forget it at home. When I go to the store I seem to get more things that wasn't on my list. So I decided to stop shopping at wal mart. Im doing my shopping at krogers and dollar general. We spent 400.00 last time im trying to spend just 200.00
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:01 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I keep a tablet handy to write things down as the week goes, then it all goes on one bigger list for the grocery store. I shop by the sale papers and use coupons, which I write down so I keep up better. I plan meals a week ahead, so I only buy exactly what I need. Since I keep track of things better, I make fewer trips and spend less. It probably takes me a good hour to get it all together before I go, but it is worth it in the end.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2011