Teacher is guilt tripping me because DD is missing the last day of school...how would you deal?

Her school only goes up to 3rd grade & she is in 3rd grade. So, they are having what they call a "moving up ceremony" for the third graders who will be going to the new school next year for 4th & 5th graders.

Well...back in January, my husband bought our plane tickets to go to Boston the Friday right before memorial day (to visit family & do some vacationing) . The tickets were wicked cheap comparably to the usual price & it also fits our schedule perfectly. He totally didn't even think about the last day of school when buying these tickets, he just jumped on them.

Anyhow, that is the last day of school & DD will be missing the ceremony. The teacher has asked countless times if we could change our ticket dates.....which we're not doing, that would cost us nearly 200 per ticket...

I don't think it's such a big deal. It's 3rd grads...she'll still have 5th grade, 8th grade & 12 grade to "graduate" from & go to a new school the next year.

Am i a terrible mom for making her miss the last day? It's not like she will be missing any academics. How would you respond to the teacher who is obviously really bothered that she is missing the last day...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm a teacher, and this kid of stuff drive me crazy. Do I mean parents taking their kid somewhere on the last day fo school? NO! I mean teachers and schools flipping our over something like that! Argh! Your child is a whole person, not just a school product. Part of her life is school, part of it is family, and there are lots of other parts too. And guess what? School does not have to be the most important part of her life!!!

Hats off to you for being a dedicated parent who cares about your child and wants to include your child in things like visiting other places and being connected to her extended family. THAT's more important than some ceremony celebrating (imo) mediocrity.

I can't believe the school is pressuring you to change your tickets! That's ludicrous! I hope you drive a REALLY expensive car and wear designer jewelry to school, b/c that's the only way I can see them doing that and not being totally nuts!!! lol
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:22 AM on May. 19, 2011

• No you arent terrible. Crap happens. My dd missed two parties at school she wanted to go to because she had the flu or had something else going on. You will as you pointed out have tons of other graduations. Tell the teacher you would be more than happy to change the tickets if she would like to pay the $200 per ticket it will cost, otherwise you are going on your scheduled vacation.

Answer by gemgem at 10:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I hated the last day of school, all we ever did was sit around twiddling our thumbs and cleaning the classroom. Skip it, ignore the teacher you are correct 5th grade, 8th grade and 12th grade are the big ones. you have the class photo there is no need for the last day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Tell her to shut up and let you be the parent.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• my sd always missed the whole last week of school! We would pack our bags and head to wherever my husband was bc he works outta state..i would tell her to kiss tail lol..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• The teacher's giving you a hard time for no good reason. Tell her it's none of her business.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:00 AM on May. 19, 2011

• As a teacher I wouldn't have ever tried to guilt trip a parent over something like this. Is your daughter really wanting to stay for the last day? If not, let the teacher know you have made a family decision and it's final. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with all the other ladies. Tell her it is none of her concern and if she continues to harass you over it, talk to the principal. YOU are her parent and you aren't doing anything wrong. My daughter will be missing 2 days of regular school in June as we will be going to a wedding and I don't feel guilty about it at all.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 11:03 AM on May. 19, 2011

• If she brings it up again ask her if she is willing to move it to the day before, since she is so concerned about your dd being there. Or tell her that if she is willing to pay the charge for changing your tix, you'll gladly stay. Otherwise the subject has been discussed and if she bring it up again you will make a complaint to the administration.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Tell that teacher to just hush.......I guarantee your DD will remember your vacation more than she would a 3rd grade graduation ceremony!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2011