I'm going to register my lil man for kindergarten today and I have a little separation anxiety, how'd you deal with it if you had it?

I know he will too because he's never been away from me with a bunch strangers ; (

SMITxsM2

Asked by SMITxsM2 at 10:55 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I thought the same thing about my DSs and separation anxiety. Boy, was I ever wrong! They couldn't wait to go to school. They loved playing with all of their classmates and learning. It is harder on us parents.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:57 AM on May. 19, 2011

• its hard but they have to grow up! start thinking of all the quiet time you will have to thinking of craft project to do when hes at school or things u can bake /make to surprise him when he gets home. :D
    my oldest is 5 and shes dyeing to go to school this year. ill have 2 others at home to help keep me company tho :D
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:03 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I hope so. I've been telling him he's going to go to school this year and at first he was pretty upset saying he didn't want to go. He even started biting his nails lol but that just might be me overreacting.
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I was so happy the day we registered my son I was almost giddy... I'm super excited for him to start school and be away from home all day! Now, if we could just get the other two out of the house - I'll be in heaven! I honestly don't understand the separation anxiety, he's been home for 5 years, it's time for him to go...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• LOL No doubt about it he's going and I want him to. I guess i'm just trying to find a easy way to transition from being home with me everyday to being without me for a while. It was real bad at one point just leaving him with my mom while I went work , he would just cry and throw a fit like no other. I felt so bad.
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Read the book "The Kissing Hand" to him by Audrey Penn. You will probably cry, but it helped my DS through a rough patch at preschool. Soon your seperation will be pride when you start getting fun art and macoroni necklaces and you child starts telling you the new things he learned.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't make a big deal about it just tell him once and if he brings it up just be cool and calm about it ,, I did this with the last 3 and it was less stressfull , becuase they don't get the big deal like why are they so excited about it cuase they arent , so they start stressing it everytime you say ok next week you start school , ok here is your backpack your going to school ,,, it makes them start stressing about it like you know when you know something is coming up it can be somthing simple but you stress. that is what they go through I remember doing this with my 15 yr old son and the look on his face was like I had said ok your going to the monster house. so I stopped fussing on the other 3 ,,,, and things were cool for the first few days but all went well good luck
    barrerajuls

Answer by barrerajuls at 3:57 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Lol Thanks ya'll
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on May. 19, 2011