Nervous to be away!

So I have a dentist appointment today at 3:00PM. my husband asked me if I want him and my son to go or just stay here while I go. I haven't been away from my son since he was born (4months ago) except for when my husband took him for a walk on Mother's Day so I could nap. (for 20mins lol) I trust my husband but it's hard for me to think that I'm not right around in the other room or around the corner if something goes wrong or my son needs me. I'm debating whether I should just tell me to go or worry the whole time I'm at my appointment. (I haven't been to this office before so it may be awhile)

Have/did you go through this? advice?

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 10:55 AM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• for some of us it is harder to let go. If you're already worry about it then I'd take him with you and start leaving him with dh when you can control how long you'll be gone for.
    Maybe after he's had a feeding you could leave him with daddy and head to the grocery store or something. This also is more for you than the baby or dh. My dh has never felt left out of parenting our kids because I bf. But talk with him about how you're feeling too. Sometimes when we say out loud how were feeling and hear if it sounds rediculous then it makes the decision easier.
    Good luck with the dentist!!
    Oh with my 3rd dd I went to the dentist and they laughted because I put my knees up and she watched the whole thing with wide eyes. She was about 6 months and I took her out of necessity because bfign and dh was working! But it was fun!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:38 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I understand how you feel and it might even be a touch of ppd but I would fight the urge and let your husband keep him. It's better to do it now before your son gets older and won't stay wtih him because he's used to just you. You need to give yourself a little bit of a break or you will burn out. Your baby will be fine!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:58 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Just go. You have to learn how to do things without your son being there. Your son and husband will be alot more comfortable at home then in a waiting room.

Answer by gemgem at 10:59 AM on May. 19, 2011

• First child or not I find it hard to leave my new babies alone too. I exclusively breastfeed them too and baby #4 is almost 2 months. I will leave him with dh if I'm going to pick the kids up from school but that's just a matter of 15 mis or so.
    If you're going to be away for a longer period of time take him with you. I demand feed to so some times he can go a few hours and other's it's every hour. I would take him with you.
    I pumped and gave him a bottle the other day and he wouldn't take it from dh only me. so there needs to be some more daddy feedings ar home before I feel ok about leaving him.
    It is absolutely normal to feel this way. I dropped my first son with my mom when he was 3 months old for the first time and only to run to the store and I cried all the way to the store. There's no preparing for the feelings you may or may not feel. Don't forget this little child was literally a part of you and cont.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

• What is the harm in having them go too? I only leave my children with a sitter if I am going somewhere they can not, which is very rare.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:00 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It was difficult for me with my first. I suspect that this is the case for most new parents. I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to learn to trust my DH to take care of our child. DH wanted and needed to know that he could take care of our DS for an hour or two while I went to my appointment. I am expecting baby #4 and have no qualms letting DH take care of the baby. I know that he will do great. If there is an emergency, he can call me or an ambulance, depending on the situation.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:02 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I was somewhat like that with my first. But, you get to the point one day, that you will enjoy getting out alone no matter what it is for. You need to have me time. Everyone will be happier if you do. You will get burnt out if you try to do everything yourself. Dh is perfectly capable of being with him. Mine works so much, and the kids are so happy to see him each evening, that he likes being there by himself. He encourages me to get out alone whenever possible. We all need a break every now and then!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 11:06 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I forgot to mention he's exclusively breastfed as well. and my first child
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 11:20 AM on May. 19, 2011

• you will be ok u need to be away sometimes
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 1:00 PM on May. 19, 2011