How do you get your kids to go to bed when they are supposed to?? Any good tricks for 11-year olds???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• i used to tell my sd at that age just go to be no books, no lights etc so she would lay there til she fell asleep..she did however think it was cute to get up after i had went to be but trust me making her get up a few mornings at 5am broke her quickly..she was glad to go to sleep after that lol
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:11 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I printed out a schedule and put it by the clock. that way, I don't have to nag and remind. he is at an age where he should be taking on responsibility for his actions.

9:00 Take vitamins
    9:10 clean room-pick up toys/games/clothes
    9:20 lay out clothes for tomorrow
    9:25 bathroom and brush teeth
    9:30 kisses and bed

If he doesn't follow it, there are punishments at the bottom of the page that will happen the next day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:14 AM on May. 19, 2011

• At that age they are old enough to deal with the consequences of being tired in the morning. Wake her up and don't let her have "just five more minutes."
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:14 AM on May. 19, 2011

• If they are 11 years old and not listening to you its time to put your foot down and not let them walk all over you. Your the parent, when you say its bedtime then its bedtime. Dont let him/her argue with you. There needs to be consiquenses if they dont listen. Kids hate to be grounded, and summer is coming up and if they dont listen to you ground them until they do. Good Luck. I never have problems with my kids listening to me, ive taught them from way small to listen to me and they always do the first time they are told.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:14 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I put my 11 yr old DS to bed an hour earlier that he needs to be asleep... half hour of "fun" reading... and THEN I pull out an old college text book and he is to read a half hour in that.... he's out before his "official bedtime"
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:56 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Thanks for the ideas, ladies. I usually have a better time putting them to bed; however, with summer around the corner they are a little too wound up after dinner... and I am thrilled that American Idol is done next week... we will have normalcy for a week or two before summer vacation....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:16 PM on May. 19, 2011

• my SD hated going to bed until we established the 'in bed by 8:30 and you get a story' she loves having one of us read to her so she reminds us now.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 12:21 PM on May. 25, 2011