Do you correlate income with respect?

Ive seen on tv and in some real life situations where women lose respect for their spouses if they are no longer the bread winners. Has this happened to you or someone you know?

alboston

Asked by alboston at 11:17 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• Nope. My husband has always been the bread winner but, i wouldn't respect him any less if I had to go to work.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2011

• my mom is only happy with my step dad if he has money on him. its sad. its not even respect. when my husband was fired once she acted like i was just suppose to get up and move in with her. who do you think she asks for money though? us! shes all for the money and its so embarrassing
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:22 AM on May. 19, 2011

• The same here. Im a stay at home mom /student and Its been this way for 6 years.
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 11:22 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I work and my husband stays at home and I have never lost respect for him.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 11:45 AM on May. 19, 2011

• No, but most people who work equate income with esteem and that can impact respect.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:54 AM on May. 19, 2011

• No, at the beginning of our relationship I was the one making more money, it's only been the last 6 years (out of 20) that he has started making good money and I was able to stay at home with the kids. I wouldn't lose respect for him if I had to go back to work though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:35 PM on May. 19, 2011

• No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I once dated a guy who lost his own self respect when he was laid off and at the same time I was promoted and making really good money. It was awful!
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 12:41 PM on May. 19, 2011

• No, but I believe it can be hard for a man if a woman is raking in the dough.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:37 PM on May. 19, 2011

• it doesn't matter who is making the money as long as the bills are paid; I have family where she was making more the he so when they started having kids he quit his job and stayed home and she worked.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:56 AM on May. 20, 2011