how do i get my son and daughter to wipe themselves

they wont wipe themselves after they poop i have to do it i understand my daughter really cant reach but my son can he is going to be 6 tom and im tired of wiping him he does it once in awhile but not often and i have bought the toddler wipes for him he just wastes them can someone please help thanks

wendy232425

Asked by wendy232425 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• Don't wipe him! Give him the TP, stand there, and say, "now wipe!" ..For awhile do a double check and "finish up" for him to make sure he did a good job, then after awhile just stand there and let him do it completely, and then after you feel confident he will do a good job himself, leave it to him. It may take awhile but had to do this with my SS. (BM was tao lazy to teach him anything I guess.)
    Anonymous

• AAAhhhhhhh. I know this battle well. Easy answer? I don't have one. My 9yo refused to wipe his butt up until about 5 months ago. My 7yo would wipe just not enough to get clean. At first I tried talking to them about the health issues... it did not matter to them. Then I would make them write "I will wipe my butt after I poop" 100 times... it did not matter to them. Then I tried time outs, punishments of restricted activities, and getting family involved... nothing worked. my 7yo changed his ways when I made him scoop the poop out of his underwear each time I found it in the dirty laundry, him cleaning it himself was enough for him. Eli my 9yo did not care, he did not consider it important (according to him) until he got diaper rash and had to have me smear diaper cream on his butt for two days. The gross feeling and humiliation of it changed his mind real quick. good luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• thanks i should try that
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• By six years of age your son is capable of wiping his own butt. If he does not wipe maybe the smell and itchy feeling with bother him.  Have a hygine talk with him again, and just make sure you bathe him every night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• we give im a decent wad of TP and tell him to do it...but my DH will show him what he is supposed to do and the right way i guess...my other 2 kids are 10 and 8 so this is the last one to teach that too...LOL
    poobear5

Answer by poobear5 at 8:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My son is 5 and most of the time he does it but sometimes he doesn't. I will be in the other room and he will be yelling "Mom, wipe my butt". I tell him your a big boy and you need to do it yourself, if you wipe it, I will make sure you got it good. It seems to help. For the most part he does it himself and I tell him that he is such a big boy. Now if I can only get him to bathe himself...haha.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2008