Dilemna vs. dilemma

How were you taught to spell this word and how old are you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I was told dilemna in school but apparently that is wrong :/ At least according to spell checker...

Sorry, I don't remember how old I was. Maybe 7th or 8th grade?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:20 AM on May. 19, 2011

• There's no n in dilemma. Dilemna is wrong. If someone taught you that, they're a really crappy teacher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 19, 2011

• hey anon, that doesn't even answer the question! OP never said one was right and one was wrong, or both were right - she just asked how you ewre taught! LOL you're an idiot

I don't remember being taugh, but I do remember a few years ago learning that it was MM, when I had thought it was MN. I googled it and read something about how a certain generation of people were taught MN, but I don't remember reading why. I'm assuming you (OP) are referring to this same phenomenon, though I don't know if you've read about it or if you just noticed it among yourself and some friends (perhaps everyone in your circle of friends who is over age X spells it one way, and everyone under age X spells it the other way...?)

Anyway, I have always wanted to know why I thought it was MN. I am assuming it was by analogy with some other word, but I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it or researching it, so I haven't come up with any more
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:27 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Anon...how old are you...you didn't answer the question. If there is no n in dilemna...then there are a LOT of crappy teachers all over the U.S because I did another poll elsewhere and 97% believed it was spelled dilemna.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:28 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't know when it changed, but apparently I and many others were taught that dilemNa was the correct spelling. I am all of a sudden noticing the dilemMa spelling. I am almost 37. I don't which is correct...I just know what I was taught...and when I see it spelled dilemma...it looks weird to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2011

• wow I've never heard that. I've always known dilemma, i'm 25
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:34 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm 32 and I can tell you that I've never heard of sticking an "N" in the word dilemma - if you spell it that do you add an "N" sound? If not, why would you add the "N"?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I've always spelled it "dilemma"...I'm 27
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I have no clue...lol. I just remember being taught to spell it with the n. I wish I had an older dictionary that I could refer to, to see if it's spelled with the n, in an actual dictionary. I was taught to pronounce it like "dilemma", but with the n spelling.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Dilemma - 38

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:47 AM on May. 19, 2011