Can a dog get depressed?

My mom called me wanting me to make a appt to the vet for my Dad's dog, a Pomeranian. She is a truck dog and has been her whole life (4.5 years) is bouncy and really excitable dog. The past few days my mom says she has been depressed and not acting right. They bought a new truck and she is wondering maybe Teeny is depressed about the move and the new environment. I am making her an appt for Monday, because they are in GA and her vet is here in TX. I just thought I would bring it CM to see what you ladies thought.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 11:23 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Pets

• Sure they do. They feel differences and emotions and anything that could be unsettling. I think because they are animals, so many of us forget that. Hope she feels better soon.

Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 11:30 AM on May. 19, 2011

• YES- Dogs can get depressed- especially, when they have changes in their life- my vet was just talking about this with me a couple of months ago b/c my dog was hurt while being groomed and not only has she been in alot of pain; her whole personality changed- the vet came up with a pain med. that helped with her pain & she said it would also Lift her Spirits- i think it really does! Hopefully, your mom's dog is just going through a adjustment period & will bounce back in a few days- wishing you lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:33 AM on May. 19, 2011

• well, teeny sounds like she may be too old for it, but you ought to have her checked for parvo. it's the right season for it, and if she didn't have all her immunizations, she could be at risk. my dog (ha, we named him tiny, how funny) caught parvo when he was only a few weeks old. we thought he was depressed, too. he was acting very lethargic, and unhappy, and he's the kind of dog that was excited to be alive the day he got neutered, so it was a stark personality change. parvo is a virus in the bowels. it basically eats them away. the dog stops eating and drinking to prevent that, but ends up dying of dehydration. we were very, very lucky, because parvo has an 80% kill rate, and we had to medicate him at home, because we couldn't afford for the vet to keep him.
    a new truck/environment usually doesn't depress a dog so much they act like that. i don't know the disposition of a pomeranian, though, so maybe. good luck!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:35 AM on May. 19, 2011

• We had a German Shepard that had parvo, she is eating fine. My mom said she just seemed unhappy or sad.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 11:40 AM on May. 19, 2011

• yes, dogs can get depressed, without a doubt, and may very well be the change in environment
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:49 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes, dogs can get depressed- but what looks like depression to us can also be a sign of an underlying medical problem, so I wouldn't write it off as an emotional thing before physical causes are ruled out.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:00 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Oh yeah!!! The move was a big change! The dog will adjust! Probably just scared! No drugs needed!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• yes they do!
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 1:37 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I am sure their not going to medicate her but, my Dad is worried. She is his baby.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 1:57 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes. It's very possible. Dogs can be depressed about moving just like kids can. For dogs, it's worse because they can't be told they're moving. They just wake up somewhere new. For future reference, taking them for an hour walk around the neighborhood before you even bring them into the new house often prevents them getting depressed. It simulates migrating to a new den which is how wild dogs do it and it makes the change less of a shock. That's also a good idea when you bring a new puppy home.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:15 PM on May. 19, 2011