Do you now or in the past have an Eating Disorder? I think I do and I need help

I am currently seeing a counselor. I told her about my binge eating and she doesn't seem concerned even though I am. I've gained 30 lbs in the last year because of it.

I try to stop but my brain wont let me. Honestly I really do try. And now that DH is working full-time and then some I eat and don't have to feel embarrassed by the quantity, even though I know its wrong.

I looked up BED Binge Eating disorder and Compulsive eating. They are real things. But how can I fight against this? I don't want this. And I've tried everything. I can even exercise every day but I'll still binge so it wont make a difference in my body.

Please don't bash me. I need some real advice. I used to be a size 7 in high school but since I had my son who is special needs I've just eaten myself into what will probably be an early grave :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm sorry, I would look up some counselors that specialize in eating disorders. Also, there's groups out there you can join and find people who you can relate to. Good Luck!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:44 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Why do you binge eat? Is it stress or loneliness? I think once you find the root of the binge eating you can start to recover. You probably need to get out of the house more. Do you participate in any activities or do you have any hobbies? You should stock your house with only healthy food so you won't binge on junk. I'm here if you need to talk. Good Luck.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:43 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Both. My counselor thinks I'm lonely. Which I didn't agree until recently. I'm depressed also. But my counselor thinks if I lose weight I wont be depressed but right now the two are one if that makes sense
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Make it a rule that you MUST journal before you are allowed to binge. When you notice you have that feeling of emptiness and that urge strikes, stop and journal. Just write whatever words, thoughts, or jibberish comes up. After you finish, you can go ahead and eat.

Take this journal to your counselor. It is likely that the thoughts/issues inside that journal are haunting you and those are what you should be working on in therapy.

The act of binging is also a stress reducer, believe it or not, so talk to your counsleor about implementing cognitive/behavioral techniques that will lower your anxiety into your daily schedule.

Quite honestly, some therapists are really better trained for eating disorders than others. Some have a lot of experience or special training,. Switch, if you need to.

Hugs. I have dealt with ED issues, and I know how hard it is.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:10 PM on May. 19, 2011