How does it make sense that if you don't have car insurance for a certain amount of time

the state will take your license - even if you don't own a car? How are you supposed to insure a car you don't own? Is this something all states do, or is Oklahoma just run by idiots?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 11:56 AM on May. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• OK is run by idiots.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:58 AM on May. 19, 2011

• Thanks, CraftingMama, I kinda suspected that. LOL
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 11:59 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I've never heard of that. We had a car an no insurance - because apparently my DH thought he paid it for 12 mos and he only paid it for 6 and he put us on paperless so they were emailing him - and he doesn't check it EVER... GRR! But the state never did anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• must be OK....I've never heard of that. I was car-less for years & in more than one state & never had my license taken away...that seems very strange!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• In OK it's acutally illegal NOT to have car insurance, even if you don't have a car. Wow, someone's a genius here.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 12:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Is it because your insurance is responsible for any car you drive rather than to car you own?

Here your insurance is for the cars on the policy only. If the car isn't insured then the dmv cancels the registration.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 12:16 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't know, but you can't get tags/registration for your car without the car (not the driver) being insured, so I don't think so.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 12:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

• That's crazy. I guess that's just another way to get your hard earned money.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:23 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Not everyone carries an umbrella policy. You can get insurance that covers any car you drive, so if you're not paying for insurance or are not covered by another policy-you don't drive. I would assume the laws vary by state.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Wow I have never heard of that. But I will agree OK is run by idiots.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:58 PM on May. 19, 2011