If your toddler says an inapropriate wrd, what do you od? adult content

Do you confront, ignore, punis?

uschi1113

Asked by uschi1113 at 12:01 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Explain that it is not a word that we say, and tell her the appropriate alternative.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would tell her that we don't say that word because it's not nice...that's it...if you make a big deal out of it they will only do it more
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We label those words as 'potty mouth', and tell her we don't talk like that outside the bathroom.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I say, "No honey, you don't say that. That's a no-no word." End of discussion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:28 PM on May. 19, 2011

• A toddler? I probably wouldn't do much to the child, outside of ignoring the word completely. I don't want the child thinking that the word has power that they can now use. I would try to route out the person teaching the rude words to the toddler, however.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:31 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My Son is 4 so really the worst thing he's said so far is "butt head" (from TV) which is now off-limits. If it isn't a regular thing and said once, I ignore it like it means nothing to me. Usually it ends there. If it's said twice, I'll say "what?? that's not a word, I don't understand what you are saying". Then if it continues I say "say that again & you get a toy taken away every time you say it" & I do.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:00 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We just change the word and correct them like they said the wrong word. "F*ck" turns into "duck" and we quack or something along those lines. we take other words and make them fun or more fun than the inappropriate said word.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• First I would turn around and laugh quietly.... just being real lol. Then I would tell me sweetie that is a naughty word and Mommy won't say it anymore either....because if my toddler is saying it he probably learned it from me or maybe Dad.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Unfortunately, this has happened because Mommy sometimes forgets who is listening. If he repeats it after I have just said it, I ignore it. A reaction will only cement the word in his head. If it is said at a later time, for no good reason, then he gets told, "You don't say that word". And then we move on.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I guess of the three choices my response would be "ignore," but it's not actually ignoring in practice! My rule of thumb is to focus on what I DO want in a situation, not what I don't want, so in this situation what I would want is for the word to be an experiment/trial (rather than the new favorite thing to bust out with!) Rather than focusing on what I might be afraid of & trying to ignore it "in hopes that he won't remember or say it again," (which really is focused on the negative outcome that I fear), I would notice the behavior/utterance but accept it as "one of those things that happened" and go on. Calm noticing & acceptance of what is (this IS what is happening, after all!) doesn't mean being resigned or not caring, but it means not resisting & not living out of fear. Which is the attitude that allows change in ourselves & in others. My kids haven't hung onto any of "those" words that they've picked up & tried out.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:06 AM on May. 20, 2011