Add a degree?

I have heard something about adding a degree when you take a baby's temperature under the arm, and was just wondering if that's true? Should I add a degree to my son's under-arm temp?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. Rectal is the most accurate but underarm is easiest. Add a degree to underarm temperature.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've read that you add a degree when you take a temperature orally, and 2 degrees when it's under the arm. I'd do it rectally just to be sure....it doesn't bother them really, my son doesn't even notice, cause I lube it up really good before I do it.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 1:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've always heard that too, but I just avoid it and do rectal when i really think she's too warm :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• yeah ive heard add one with underarm. i use a forehead first and underarm also if baby's feeling extra warm to me
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 2:03 PM on May. 19, 2011