Baby on the road.. Help!

My DH is a musician and is going to be touring around the world for 16 months starting September.

Our daughter is due in June so she will be 3 months old when he has to leave.

He doesn't want to miss out on the first year and a half of her life so we basically have 2 choices. Either me and the baby are going on tour with him or he doesn't go at all which will not be good for his career at all.

What would you do? It's my first baby so I don't know how difficult it is to have one at home, let alone on the road.

I should also mention DH is not in a weird wild band or anything, so if we go, we're going to be around serious people with families of their own and in a heathly environment.

I really don't know what to do!! Help..

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• If there's others on the tour then why not ask them what it's like touring with a baby?
    I think it sounds exciting and worth a try. If it dosen't work out you could always come home right?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Infant needs are very straightforward: sleep, eat, cleaning, and love. Unlike a toddler who will want to be wandering around and is likely to get into dangerous situations, traveling with an infant really just needs a little pre-planning for feeding times, etc. If you are going to be traveling in a family-friendly environment, especially with seasoned parents who may have traveled with children in the past, I think you could do it. Plus, it'll keep you from getting lonely.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Thank you! The rest of the people have brought their kids along before but none of them ever brought a newborn baby on tour so it's going to be new to all of us :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I think it would be easier with an infant than with a toddler! :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:35 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Well, these would be my immediate issues: Hotels are dirty and not the best environment for an infant. What about Pediatric visits & bathing the baby? The child grows so fast, you have to start feeding them healthy solids & get them into a regular routine. How would you do that at a Hotel & traveling on the road? I would go bonkers, Just my opinion but I would rather be in a home environment with an infant/toddler. But Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Like the others said, it will be easier to do it now, while your baby is still a baby then it would be when she is crawling around getting into things...I think if you can still somehow keep some sort of schedule then you will be fine...BUT I've never been in that situation so I'm answering from opinion, not experience. Good luck on whatever you decide to do mama!
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• What about keeping in touch electronically? Webcams? First moments on video? Lots of pictures? Is that a possibility?
    Anonymous