Is Lasik worth it?.....

I know my eyes are pretty bad - my contact precrip is -2.5/2.75. Anyone have the surgery and still need corrective lenses?

arpkdmom

Asked by arpkdmom at 12:27 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Health

• It was for me! My prescription was WAY worse than yours...-6.5 in both eyes. I had to have the surgery twice, but they warned me in advance that it would take two sessions to correct my vision. I have 20/20 now, but in the 6 months between surgeries I had to wear glasses with a minor prescription. It's been 4 years now that I have had 20/20 and I LOVE it! My only regret was that I was too scared to do it sooner.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My eyes are worse than yours -5.25/-7.25 and I would never consider doing lasik; several of my friends have done it and each have had problems. I'll stick to my contacts and my glasses, thank you very much!
    Anonymous

• I was -3.5 and -6.5. I never could get 20/20 in my worse eye because of having a detached retina 9 years earlier. I hated wearing glasses, so I wore contacts for many years. Working on a computer all day gave me chronic dry eyes, making the contacts uncomfortable.

I got the Lasik 2 years ago, and I am so happy I did. They were able to give me 20/20 in each, with 25/20 combined. It only took one procedure. We were a little anxious going in due to the buckle I have under my eye from the retinal surgery, but it was far enough down they could work around it. Otherwise I would have had to get the RK procedure done on that one.

The procedure itself was somewhat uncomfortable since they don't put you under, but after the recommended long nap afterwards, all was good. Clear vision within 24 hours.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't mind my contacts, but dh keeps asking if I want surgery....don't want to spend the $ if I will still end up in contacts anyway, KWIM?
    arpkdmom

Comment by arpkdmom (original poster) at 12:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm friends with an attorney in town, and every single one of the eye doctors in our area that perform lasik has been sued multiple times for permantly blinding someone.

I know many people that have come out fine. But I don't want to be one of the ones that don't.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Mine were -5.75 and my husband's eyes were -3. We had ours done in December of 2007 and it was one of the best things I've ever done! Our eyes have been perfect ever since. No more hassle, no more not being able to see in the middle of the night, no more irritated eyes at the end of the day. The best part is that I can see stuff I was never able to see even with glasses or contacts. I live by mountains were I couldn't see the texture in the rock, and now I can see it clearly.
    If you do it, I would suggest two things:
    1) Make sure you get a blade-less procedure, because it's much more precise, has little room for human error, and the healing time (especially haloing) is much faster.
    2) Research your doctor. Don't ever go for discount LASIK. Always choose someone who has done lots and lots of procedures and has a good reputation. When I was searching for my doctor, he had already done 40,000 procedures.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:32 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I have friends who had it done years ago and are still pleased with the results. Eye problems run in my family and I'm reluctant to have the surgery in case something gets messed up that can't later be fixed because of previous procedures. Otherwise, I'd probably have it done too.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:39 PM on May. 19, 2011