Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

So my husband's car got egged last night- Anybody think it was a coincidence?

We have been having problems with our downstairs neighbor ever since our son started to crawl 5-6 months ago. We rent our unit and the guy downstairs owns his, so there is no landlord to complain to about his behavior. He is an older man with no family and is very sick (lung cancer and yes he is STILL freakin' smoking). However, that doesn't give him the right to bang on his ceiling/our floor directly under where my baby is playing and scare the crap out of my son. Nor does it give him the right to the foul language he uses. He has called my son a "fucking brat!" through the floor, and swears every time he hears anything we do.

My son was playing with one of my sneakers and dropped it the other night. Immediately there came a stream of foul language directed at my baby from below. My husband was very upset, as our son is learning to talk, and yelled through the floor "Watch your language!!!" extremely loudly. Keep in mind my husband is the most gentle, sweet man on earth, and he always tries to think the best of everyone. But this was too much for him to let go.

This morning, my husband went out to go to work and his car and motorcycle had been egged. We park to the right of the front door, and only those sides and the front of his bike and car were hit. As if the person throwing the eggs had been standing on our porch to do it. If a neighborhood kid had done it, it would have been the street side ( back) of the cars that were hit, right? Anyway, I don't think it was a kid, I know it was the nasty old fart below. What would you do? Confront him? Call the cops and fill out a police report to document the incident? Call our landlord and complain to her? What would you do?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Call the cops and have them take a report. Maybe if he sees you called he will stop his BS. I would also invest in a nanny cam and have it pointed to the same area and if he tries again maybe you can catch him in the act, or if it isnt him then you will know who it was.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • I'd call the police to have it documented. Then I'd start searching for other places to live. You're probaly never goin to make this guy stop and it's probaly best you just take you and your family out of the situation. Is he your landlord? or is someone else? because you CAN complain wheather he owns it or not unless of course hes the landlord..which again I repeat I'd be leaving ASAP.

    Answer by SweetPoison at 12:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Talk to your landlord. And talk to the police to see what you can do to start documenting your problems with him. Your son is just going to get louder, and if this guy really is crazy enough to egg your husband's car, who knows what else he might do. I usually think it's best for neighbors to work things out themselves, but the time for that seems to have passed.

    Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • call the cops, explain the whole situation and file a complaint. See if they can give you any advice. But for the egging, since no one saw who did it, your police report would not stand for anything in court (just saying if you go to court cause thats what police reports are usualy made for). But yeah call the cops and let them know about the cursing and hitting his roof and file a complaint!!

    Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • i would get it on record somewhere, whether it be the landlord or police. maybe you could see if there is any type of mediation services in your community. if he is really sick, he is probably just plain mad at the entire world and mostly himself for making himself sick so his attitude will probably not change.

    Answer by nybor48 at 12:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Call the cops, make a report so you have a paper trail, even if they can't do anything to the neighbor right now. Tell your landlord about the ranting and raving from him so they are aware of it in case he does something else in the future. Are there any downstairs units you can ask to be moved to?

    Answer by nmmama09 at 1:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Call the cops and the landlord!

    Answer by momavanessa at 1:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • The mans actions are clearly passive aggressive. Your husband yelling back through the floor is also. This has the potential to turn into a very dangerous situation. You need to confront the man directly about the things you can prove. Ie. Screaming profanities at you. For the egging I would call the police. It's vandalism. They will just write up a report and ask your neighbor if he heard or saw anything. This will document the problem incase it escalates and let the neighbor know you are serious about taking action.

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Talk to your landlord. There may be an association or something that he can work with on mediation. Ask your neighbor if he egged the car. Call the police some night for a wellness check when the guy is on a particular rant and tell them you hear screaming and violent language downstairs and you want to be sure he doesn't injure himself.

    Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

Next question in Relationships
I'm just pissed...

Next question overall (Beauty & Style)