Are you prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse? Asst Surgeon General Ali Khan is!

CDC Warns Public to Prepare for 'Zombie Apocalypse'

By Joshua Rhett Miller

Published May 18, 2011

Are you prepared for the impending zombie invasion?

That's the question posed by the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention in a Monday blog posting gruesomely titled, "Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse." And while it's no joke, CDC officials say it's all about emergency preparation.

"There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for," the posting reads. "Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That's right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you'll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you'll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency."

The post, written by Assistant Surgeon General Ali Khan, instructs readers how to prepare for "flesh-eating zombies" much like how they appeared in Hollywood hits like "Night of the Living Dead" and video games like Resident Evil. Perhaps surprisingly, the same steps you'd take in preparation for an onslaught of ravenous monsters are similar to those suggested in advance of a hurricane or pandemic.

"First of all, you should have an emergency kit in your house," the posting continues. "This includes things like water, food, and other supplies to get you through the first couple of days before you can locate a zombie-free refugee camp (or in the event of a natural disaster, it will buy you some time until you are able to make your way to an evacuation shelter or utility lines are restored)."

Other items to be stashed in such a kit include medications, duct tape, a battery-powered radio, clothes, copies of important documents and first aid supplies.

"Once you've made your emergency kit, you should sit down with your family and come up with an emergency plan," the posting continues. "This includes where you would go and who you would call if zombies started appearing outside your doorstep. You can also implement this plan if there is a flood, earthquake or other emergency."

The idea behind the campaign stemmed from concerns of radiation fears following the earthquake and tsunami that rocked Japan in March. CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told FoxNews.com that someone had asked CDC officials if zombies would be a concern due to radiation fears in Japan and traffic spiked following that mention.

"It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek campaign," Daigle said Wednesday. "We were talking about hurricane preparedness and someone bemoaned that we kept putting out the same messages."

While metrics for the post are not yet available, Daigle said it has become the most popular CDC blog entry in just two days.

"People are so tuned into zombies," he said. "People are really dialed in on zombies. The idea is we're reaching an audience or a segment we'd never reach with typical messages."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/18/cdc-warns-public-prepare-zombie-apocalypse/#ixzz1Mohf0yGx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope everyone who bashes this realizes that it's a ploy to get 20-30 something's to pay attention to suggestions about emergency preparedness. It is a good idea-yes, a good idea. There's a couple of you that did actully believe that the CDC is preparing specifically for a zombie apocalypse, and its you that look foolish here.

I have shared this eith all my Facebook friends, we love Zombies and discussing what we would do. This blog post is really cute and the fox news "article" made me giggle.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• A lot of people don't really pay a whole lot of attention to those Preparedness messages any more as they're all pretty much the same. (and I think a lot of people also have trouble figuring out where/how to store all the stuff they suggest).
    Anyway, I think it's really a pretty clever approach and I'll bet a lot of people will go "HUH? and end up reading it when they probably wouldn't have otherwise.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:31 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Ok, What Glen Beck says could be considered out there. This crap is just incredibly stupid. I hope I don't hear any Libs believing it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:09 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yeah, I busted out my copy of Zombieland and took notes. A few:

Cardio
    The Double Tap
    Beware of Bathrooms
    Travel Light
    Get a Kick Ass Partner
    Always carry a change of underwear
    Bowling Ball
    Opportunity Knocks
    Don’t be a hero
    Limber Up
    Break it Up
    It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint
    Avoid Strip Clubs
    When in doubt Know your way out
    Shoot First
    A little sun screen never hurt anybody
    Incoming!
    Double-Knot your Shoes
    The Buddy System
    Check the back seat
    Enjoy the little things
    Swiss army Knife
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• And we are spending money for this, hmmm, makes one wonder what's in those flu vaccines...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Of course I'm prepared. People across the world have been preparing for years. You haven't?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• chopped headmummy

Now I have Rockapella's "Zombie Jamboree" playing in my head! LOL (It'sa catchy little number)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:38 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I bet the people on Extreme Couponers are prepared for it, since they've got all those stockpiles, lol.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 6:35 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with those who feel #1 and #2 need to be reversed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Exactly, because otherwise you wouldn't be following #25 (on the actual list, not the short version I gave) - Shoot first.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:50 PM on May. 19, 2011