Civilians need to be celebrated more - said by a veteran, myself

Angry from seeing Scholarships for dependent children. I am seeing too many civilian trying to find their ways through education, just to see themselves in debt through student loans and cannot find work. This just doesn't seem fair to me when the true backbone of our country is from the hardwork and ingenuity of our enterprising civilians forefathers. I believe that our country's priorities truly need to be shifted back into this direction.

After being on both sides of the fence, I have more on the side of the civilian. My heart wrenches when I'm hearing about military dependent preferences and more focus on military families when most (if not ) all their initial life expenses are paid for.

I used to work in the downtown area and saw the reality of how many people are out of work, not having any transportation, and begging for work. Many of these people are very well educated and very well willing to work, but are truly invisible because of no public attention is being focused on them. As for myself, I couldn't rejoin the military because I was a single mother. I don't believe that I should ever give my daughter up for anyone just to become part of the cause. But this unfairness exists!! I hate this!

I believe that more attention needs to be focused on building the esteems of our civilians to give them empowerment to change the direction of our country through free enterprise and possibly create the jobs that our country needs to get back onto its feet being $14 trillion in national debt.

While I ask for your opinion(?) for question sake, I am working with a bank in partnership in creating ways for civilians to recover their incomes in times of financial disaster.

Signed a true veteran who loves her country.

~Bluesaphire

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 12:36 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Being former military, you also know that the military doesn't get paid what it should, and therefore, some of us CANNOT afford to send our children to college. So yes, I'm glad for those programs that help military dependent children get college education.

There are grants and scholarships for civilian children as well as military dependent children.

But, for the most part, I do agree. More jobs need to be made and/or stuff needs to stop going up in price so people can afford their basic needs. Unfortunately, I highly doubt either will happen any time soon. I stay a SAHM because we can afford to only have one income (my husband's, who happens to be USAF - E5). We have 4 kids, not on any kind of assistance, and are making it just fine. I don't NEED to get a job, therefore I don't, so that someone who may NEED that job that I would take can have it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with hope, Military does not get anywhere near what they deserve for putting their lives in danger. So I think it's great.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 12:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• See, this is why people tend to appreciate folks in the military and veterans - they are usually fair, honest, generous people. :)

Honey, don't get mad over military benefits. It's well earned. And, yes, there are folks who deserve some benefits, too. But first of all, there are all kinds of scholarships and grants for folks of all backgrounds, and second, who ever said that everyone will get everything they need? Aren't we proud of having the freedom to pursue happiness? So it's up to us to make that happen, regardless of what advantages other people give or don't give us. I'm speaking as a child of immigants who literally came here with a wad of cash and very little english skills. We struggled, but I'm so glad my parents came to the US instead of anywhere else. Here I have the freedom to crawl and work my way up to the stable, happy, productive life I have now. Thanks for defending that for me.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:48 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We just have to agree to disagree.
    I believe if a family of four children can afford to have only one income earner, then judgement should only be at the level of what a civilian makes with benefits included as income. There should never be any preferences for an enlisted or officer family dependents over a civilian. I still think its unfair, especially when I barely made enough to afford one child paying everything from my own pockets.

If you truly believe a civilian can have your job, then convince the ACS or other military career services open their jobs to the general market.
    Again, I believe the bigger heroes of our country are the civilians which need to be treated that way.
    BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• While I agree with you, and I am in the army currently, education on whats available should be our priority. Life skills should be focused on more in school. Really, why are there so many non-career focused education? If my child was taught the basics like cooking, spelling, and how to survive in the real world, then a college education would only be needed for upper management. Yes I say spelling because far too many people work in my moms office and have to be reeducated that we don't file under a and the. We should focus on typing, and filing and all other entry level skills that no one seems to have anymore cause we all want to be cheerleaders or play in the band. I am all for college for everyone, but degrees in non applicable fields is wasteful. BTW I will only fund my children if the courses are useable.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

• So civilians are the ones putting their lives on the line every day?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Oh, and BTW, a lot of bases do employ civilians for jobs such as BX/PX, AAFES (gas station on base), the fast food restaurants in the BX/PX, Commissary...and I'm sure there are MANY more jobs available to civilians in the area on base, I just don't know about them.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• hopeandglory53

I was speaking primarily on dependent preferences. And yes, many civilians put their lives on the line, i.e. firemen, policemen, etc. In my belief, our heroism needs to be based on the influences of our actions, not be the uniform we wear.

Our country in its current state is $14 trillion in national debt. Our current actions will backfire on us, by either military cutbacks, eliminating benefits, or our country sinking further into misery.

~bluesaphire

BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 3:46 PM on May. 20, 2011