Dread moving...tips to make it go smoother?

I am trying to get excited about moving because we are crammed in here like sardines...but the process of packing up an entire houseful of crap and moving it, unpacking it, putting it away...all the painting, carpet, tiling, egh...I just don't want to do it.

What can I do to make it go more smoothly?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:38 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Lol. we are currently in the same boat, I haven't started packing as I want to wait for it to be official with the appraisal but I worry about the same thing..loL!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• First off you need to realize that no matter how organized you are it will be chaotic. Once you have that mindset it really helps.

Do not try to do it all yourself. Let the kids help out as much as they can.

Set your kitchen up quickly. If you are like me...my house feels cluttered, even if it is not, if my kitchen is a wreck. Same with the bathroom.

A big ole glass of wine at the end of the day while ignoring the mess left for tomorrow always helps too.
    Anonymous

• I am in the process of packing things up for a move so I know how you feel. I am keeping organized and in addition to labeling all my boxes, I am writing on the side a little bit about what is in each box. I hope that will help me in the unpacking process. Also, I have found that in past moves, it always helps if the boxes are placed in the proper room when they come off the truck. Saves time in the end. I pack a little each day also. I've been trying to downsize in this process and have already prepared 3 boxes for our local Goodwill and hope to have lots more! Good Luck to you!
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 12:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We've moved twice in the past year. The first move, I was able to actually move a little at a time. I used cheap laundry baskets and moved about five to six of them per carload. Then I was able to unpack and put them away at the new place as I went. The movers only had to move the big stuff for us. The second time, after I saw what the movers did, I thought, why the heck did I move the stuff that I did the first time? LOL! I boxed everything and let them move it with the big stuff. It went very smooth and we did it in one move. I boxed stuff up for a couple weeks prior though. Then it took about a week to get it all unpacked and organized at the new place.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Be Organized!!! Martha Stewart has a moving checklist that totally help us!!!!!!!!! Get a lot of family and friends to help you as well!
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 12:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

• How far away are you moving? I have gotten really good at moving through the years, but the things I do are very different if it's a cross country move or an in town move. One thing that I always HAVE to do is have my whole place unpacked within the first two days.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• LOL m-avi my last move was a laundry basket move. We were only moving 4 streets away, so I just went back and forth with the laundry baskets. I managed to move a family of four without a single box! The whole place was organized and everything was put away immediately. The only thing we needed to rent a truck for was the furniture.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Make sure you label every box really well and start with the things you don't use such as pictures/wall hangings first.

What I did when we moved was to put the boxes with things that I knew I needed immediately in the correct rooms and unpack them first. Everything I knew I could live without went straight into the basement and I got to it when I had time.

I also never take clothing off the hangers - it goes straight into the uhaul as it is so I can take it straight to the correct closet and hang it up.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 3:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Take it one step at a time. Instead of "pack the whole house" AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! do it room by room.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Have a drink! Lol.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 7:35 PM on May. 19, 2011